RANSOMES MG 40

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines RANSOMES MG 40

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have a Ransomes mg 40 with a Sachs 2 stoke diesel engine which will not start. I turn it over and there is smoke coming out the exhaust. The injector has been replaced because the spray pattern was not correct and the injector was worn out. My next thing to check is if the fuel pump is giving enough pressure, it is pumping fuel through, can anyone tell me how to get the pump off, I have disconnected the pipes undone the three nuts and I can pull the pump out a small way but it is connected to something I cant see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi,Just a thought,I’ve got an MG with that I have to crank it up to speed then pull the handle out which activates the decompressor

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Robert thanks for your response I should have mentioned that it is electric start

ransomes256
    Participant

I do not have much info on the Sachs engine and cannot see what would be holding the pump but with regard to non start have you a plug heater (glow plug) fitted and is it working? Additionally have you lost sufficient compression to allow ignition? This may have happened due to excess fuel washing oil from the bore.
    Neil

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I think the pump will be connected to the governor linkage which has to be disconnected through an access plate. I have three Sachs engined MG and they are all very good starters once you pull out the excess fuel start button .

vhgmcbuddy

The engine does not have a glow plug just an excess fuel button. I think I will have to check the compression as I hadn’t thought about that. Thank you Neil

vhgmcbuddy

I will have a look for the access plate. I agree with you I have never had a problem with it starting before. The excess fuel button is pulled out at the moment and does not return when I shut the throttle down. Thank you expeatfarmer

expeatfarmer
    Participant

If it is some time since it was started, I would be tempted to connect a good set of jump leads to a big battery or a truck and keep turning it over until it starts .

vhgmcbuddy

It is about 2months since I had it running so I will give that a try. Thanks

vhgmcbuddy

If you have had it apart I would bet that there is air still in the system somewhere. It only takes a tiny bubble to stop an engine from starting.

vhgmcbuddy

I have managed to get the fuel pump off it was just a case of releasing the excess fuel button and then it pulled straight out so I will get that checked out and when I put it back together make sure that I bleed it thoroughly, thanks for your help.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks to every one for there ideas on how to get my Sachs diesel engine started all of which I have tried. I have checked the compression which registered at 320 psi and to date have fitted a reconditioned starter motor,reconditioned injector and had the fuel pump has been reconditioned, but still no luck with it starting. Reading through the manual I see there is a glow plug fitted and I should be able to preheat on the key but there is no lamp and I don’t know where the glow plug is, any help on this would be appreciated

ransomes256
    Participant

I do not know if there is a difference between engines but I can supply a glow plug conversion that fits in place of the fuse holder screwed into the barrel. Neil

vhgmcbuddy

You can certainly try a glow plug but if it was starting OK before then it should start without one now. You have replaced the injector and presuming that it is functioning as it should then it must be something else that you have done or not done during the replacement. I know how tempting it is to keep taking things to bits to try to solve a problem but the more you touch the harder it is to locate the fault. I have been guilty of the same many times. I am not at all familiar with these engines so I am just guessing from afar but is the fuel pump working as it should at all throttle openings? I had a slide stick in a fordson tractor so that the excess fuel button stayed out and I had to pull a fuel line off before I could stop it and the smoke could could be seen from space!
    How do you stop the engine normally? How much smoke comes out of the exhaust when you try to start it? Your best bet is probably to get somebody else to cast a fresh pair of eyes over it. Worked for me on a twin carbed car which I couldn’t get to run. He said have you checked the plugs are getting fuel. Yes I replied. All of them? No just checked the no 1 plug. Turned out one carb had a stuck needle valves. I had spent days on it and it was sorted in 5 minutes. Tell people where you are located i bet somebody would love to help out

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.