Ransomes marquis + kubota engine

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Ransomes marquis + kubota engine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello,

I am looking for a rebuild kit(with the jets) for a carborator Keihin 13qla eg03
    used on a Kubota gs 130 engine (Ransomes Marquis 51)
    It is very difficult to start a cold engine, exept if I open the air filter.
    Once the engine is warm, it runs like a Rolls Royce.

Thank you,
    Kind regards

trusty220
    Keymaster

Try Meetens Industrial Engines. They are my first stop for most things.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you for the tip.
    I contacted them and was advised to buy a new carb assy,
    what I will do.
    I will keep you informed.
    Thanks.

hillsider
    Participant

That is exactly what I have done with Kubotas that I have worked on in the past, from memory the new carbs are quite reasonably priced and if you cost your time and the cost of repair parts you have probably saved yourself some money.
    I do realise though that simply fitting replacement parts does not always sit comfortably with the mend it philosophy that we tend to have but sometimes common sense has to prevail.

vhgmcbuddy

The carb assy arrived and the leaking is over, but
    still very difficult to start the engine. If I take the spark plug out and hold it against the engine while trying to start there’s no spark.
    However after many times starting it starts and the engine runs fine. Once I stop the engine it’s very difficult to start it again; sometimes it starts immediately sometimes not at all.
    So I opened the ignition-part and that was very dirty and rusted. I cleaned everything but still the same result.
    Is it possible to test the ignition coil?
    Is it possible that a bad ignition coil works sometimes and sometimes it doesn’t.
    Thank you for your reply.

stuart
    Participant

Before buying more parts check your valve clearances as they tend to close up !.The GS130 engine is a side valve engine so remove the valve chest cover at the rear of the engine.Set the piston just past TDC on the power stroke and check the clearances and adjust if required (by either recutting the valve seats or grinding the valve stems)

wristpin
    Participant

If your engine has a low oil level ignition cut out safety system it may be playing up – or you may need to top up the sump!!

vhgmcbuddy

There’s no safety system on this machine, only the on/off switch witch I tested.

vhgmcbuddy

I measured the ignition coil.
    Coils resistance primary is 0.13 and secundary is 9.73
    Multimeter on 20k
    I don’t know how to measure the clearance from the rotor to ignition core because the coil is located at the inside of the flywheel.
    Is that ok?
    Thank you

andyfrost
    Participant

It’s been said COUNTLESS times on here , multimeters are no good whatsoever for testing ignition coils, they need a go on a purpose built ignition tester.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Strange, I read that Coil resistance is: primary approx 0.6Ohms, secondary approximately 12.6kOhms, the Kubota-manual states.
    But as there’s no spark when testing the spark plug “outside” the engine; it has to be the ignition coil- no more testing required.
    Thank you

vhgmcbuddy

I was interested in the opinion of somebody who worked on Kubota engines and there specific characteristics.

wristpin
    Participant

it has to be the ignition coil- no more testing required.

Hmmm a dangerous assumption – if I may say so!

For a start, does it have a low oil level cut out? If so is it working correctly or is there a safe level of oil?
    Then if it has an electronic trigger rather than points and condenser there’s a better chance that it is the trigger (igniter in Nippon speak) rather than the coil.

But there again you may be right!

vhgmcbuddy

It has an electronic trigger

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Flywheel before cleaning

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.