Ransomes crawler ploughs

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransomes crawler ploughs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Evening, i have been looking through the mg equipment catalogues, various plough and spares suppliers and of course the well known auction site for another plough, and can find lots of ts42’s which have two winding handles, presumably for furrow width and depth control, but the plough i have has a lever and quadrant system for lifting and lowering the plough. I am looking for another mg crawler and plough to play and practise with while i pull my mg2 apart and rebuild it.
    I believe there is a cast plate on my plough, but is unaccessable just at the minute, pictures to come when i can get to it, as well as my c29(?) toolbar/cultivator.
    Does anyone know if i have a different model plough or was the lever and quadrant an option to the winding handle?

vhgmcbuddy

Might have just found the answer on google, think its a ts30.
    How many furrows would an mg pull?

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    The TS30B was the original plough available for the MG2 it was followed by the TS42A and 42B with the introduction of the MG5.
    The biggest advantage of the TS42 is that it uses a quadrant driven from the wheel to lift the plough out of the ground as opposed to the hand lever on the TS30.
    There was a 2 furrow option available for the MG5 which was only suitable for very light soil.
    Neil

joegrgraham
    Participant

The two furrow plough would be no good in the cotswolds then…….

dave
    Participant

Dave, If you need it I have a parts list for the TS30 Plough
    with price list 1949.I will scan it in and send on to you
    please send contact details. Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

2 furrow should be alright up on the top of the cotswolds on that old brash, wouldnt want to plough more than 4 inches deep, come down here in the valley on our clays and loams!
    Dave, thats very kind of you, yes please, will pm contact details.
    To all those who guessed ts30, well done. Was down the yard earlier and climbed over all my junk to try and get some pictures, even included one of the supplier plate.
    Any idea if ts30b is relevant to anything? Whats the difference between a ts42a and b?

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Also included the best picture i could get with the space i had, also, not a plough but a c29 (?) toolbar

Attachments:
    ransomes256
    Participant

I am not a plough man but believe the 42A has lower adjusting screws for use in orchards but generally appears to be the most common found.
    Neil

expeatfarmer
    Participant

My memory tells me that a 32B plough was a two furrow the second being removable.

franktonpaget
    Participant

In the working instructions and parts book I have for the Ransomes TS42, TS42A and TS42B quite a few different bodies are listed :-
    EC Body 12″ cut, Scout Body 10″ cut,VY Body,YL Body,RHA Body,SHP Body,TCP Body,Epic and IRDCP Body, some of these look very small and referring to Anthony Clare’s book Ransomes tractor share ploughs these smaller bodies were developed for work in orchards,stubble paring ,initial soil preparation before deeper ploughing or seedbed preparation where moisture retention was important like the Ransomes riffler ploughs.
    This links in with that many two furrow ploughs went to France where these requirements were needed in orchards,vineyards and similar and having just come back from the Dordogne area of France saw a lot of work being carried out under Walnut and Almond trees to suppress vegetation.
    Anthony Clare states in his book that the TS42A was a lowered version of the TS42 introduced in 1946 for orchard work

vhgmcbuddy

That’s a ts 30b single furrow which I belive is for a mg2 not the mg as in picture. And you are correct about the drag it is c29

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Stew, yes that is the same as my plough, looks a nice thing to use. Has anyone ever used one? Any hints or tips? I am currently looking for an mg6 or 40 with probably a ts42 plough to use and play with and get some experience with while the mg2 is in pieces.
    Frank, from experience of ploughs and ploughing (mounted) ransomes did produce a variety of boards, I have used a ts 59 with ley boards and does a cracking job on grass with its long slow board but rubbish on stubble where a shorter quicker board would be more appropriate.
    A “general purpose” board does the job but always will be a compromise.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.