Ransomes 30 reel cutter

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Ransomes 30 reel cutter

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Any info on this anyone ?

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

I’ve worked on many ranging from early JAP engined to later MAG ones. Originally known as the Multimower as the reel head could be swapped for a rotary deck

trusty220
    Keymaster

It used to be the stablemate of the Ransomes Motor Triple. You can see this from the design of the cutter head, which is a single cutting unit off the Motor Triple. The MAG engined version was sold into the 1980’s and was a very good grasscutter, well-balanced and easy to use, and would cut everything in front of it and leave a tidy finish. Most local authorities in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s would have a fleet of them because they were simple to maintain and pretty indestructible.

vhgmcbuddy

Well thank you all who have responded to this post.
    As yet i have no settings of the mag engine to give it a good going over.
    Does anyone know what they are and how many degrees do you time it to ?
    Also what does MAG stand for as i have looked on you tube and nothing there either.

trusty220
    Keymaster

MAG was a company based in (I think) Switzerland- any more than that I don’t know, other than they were bought out by Kubota in the late 1980’s and some of the cross-over Kubota GS series engines were labelled “Kubota MAG” for a while.

The timing on these engines was a lot easier than most because the coil/condensor/contact breaker assembly was all mounted together on a common stator plate, I think it was made by Bosch. The stator could only be moved a few degrees one way or the other and it was normally marked with a chisel point once bench set in the factory, so you could take it off and put it back with certainty that you would get it right. Points gap was 15 thou.

Sometimes we used to find the end snapped off the valves on these engines, so check both ends thoroughly. Some valves used to “neck” and the head would come off whilst others would have a horseshoe collet to retain the valve spring and the end of the stem would snap off.

Good luck, they aren’t as bad as a lot of engines!

wristpin
    Participant

Yes, MAG was a Swiss company. Interesting observation about the valves; of the many Mag engined machines that I worked on, Multimowers, Mastiffs and Matadors, many having led a hard life with local authorities, I never saw a snapped valve. Possibly governors were being interfered with and the engines were over revving – we will never know.
    Just done a service and sharpen on the later version of the Multimower

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for this info

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.