Ransome MG ITW or not

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransome MG ITW or not

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

To me this looks home made, any other thoughts?

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

I would assume it’s home made.

Having looked through hundreds of Ransomes images over the years I’ve not seen one depicted anywhere like this one.

vhgmcbuddy

I think the word I adapted from tracks to wheels.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Pretty sure it is a homemade conversion. It must have been hairy to drive as I am sure it would nose dive when lifting a load. Unless a clutch has been fitted it would be very hard work driving into a load, slow down select neutral, rev up lift load, slow down select reverse, rev up to start reversing, The rams are very large dia so it would have a big load capacity I am surprised the hydraulic pump of the MG6 would cope even with the extra oil tank but it obviously did. As a machine in its day it would have been ideal for mucking out calf boxes or stables with restricted access. I have seen loaders made to suit Ransomes crawlers other than the Ransomes Whitlock loaders I think it may have been Webb that made them also fitted to Wheelhorse and other mini tractors.

stevewoollas
    Participant

I believe I have seen a picture of this crawler before, possibly on an internet sale site. The rear, smaller, wheels appear to be BMC Mini and I know of another “ITW” that is converted using Mini wheels. I presume the larger front wheels would reduce the tendancy for the front of the tractor to lift when pushing into a pile when loading. Never the less an interesting conversion and well worth restoring to show the inventive nature of man–Steve

jtg1
    Participant

this was at the last cheffins, sutton sale, and definately home made. only drives onn one axle, and the wheels were bolted to the remains of the mgdrive wheels

expeatfarmer
    Participant

This is the loader I was thinking of fitted to a diesel MG40

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Looks like a pile of junk

Best to remove the rubbish bits & use the rest for spare parts. Engine would be good for someone

charlie
    Keymaster

Maybe not the best engineered modifications but all part of this machines history. It does create a dilemma; keep as is, restore, return to original or break for parts?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.