Ransome Crawler

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransome Crawler

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, first time on the new site … looking at getting a Ransomes Crawler for work and show. Question is do they have a scrub/heavy grass cutting attachment no more than 1.0m wide or thereabouts? I have never owned a crawler and know the square root of nothing about them but I assume they can cope with steep slopes?! Have got a search marked on fleabay but they seem to be all up country, I’m in Cornwall! Cheers, Jan.

will-haggle
    Participant

I ‘ope you got your little chair well tied down Jan! I wonder if you could use a self-powered mower that they make for quads. Why don’t ‘ee go down Truro an’ see Mr Teagle, ‘ee might maeke ‘ee one, yew! Were you down Lanlivery? ‘ere’s a nice little Trac Grip, meade up Laun’s’n!

Attachments:
    crawler
    Participant

Hello Jan

A Ransomes MG certainly could pull a gang mower for you. Have a look at the attached pics taken from various brochures. I see you specify the width, is this because of obstacles you need to get between? If a gang mower would cope with what you have to cut then I’m sure you could pick up just one section. There are some chaps on here with good knowledge of mowers who could offer advise.
    I saw on your post on the old site you mentioned a flail mower, I’ve never seen anything like this for a MG. I have seen a photo of a finger mower mounted on the rear of a MG, but the width of this would be over 1m.

Hope this helps.
    Put some pictures on here if you do go for a MG crawler.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Ideal, thanks to you both, thats a great start and in my native tongue from Alan! I’ll let you know how I get on, its to cut grass twixt christmas Tree rows incidently!
    Cheers, Jan.

will-haggle
    Participant

We ‘ad a holiday in Devon and Cornwall this year and finished up at the Lanlivery Rally…
    Another Cornish machine, a Teagle Jetiller with a Teagle 4 stroke engine. Although I was born in Zummerzet, thaas up-country, my Dad was born in Cornwall and my Granny did everything DRECKLY!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

haha! I was born down here, lived here all me life by the grace of him upstairs. Talking of Teagle, I have a hand held Teagle hedgecutter, 50cc I believe, chain drive. Its all there with a good spark, I reckon I just got to fiddle with the timing and she’s a runner!! I’ll do that drekly mind. Geddon!

vhgmcbuddy

I been to Lanlivery a couple times but I tend to get up to Morval, not that far for me you see!!

charlie
    Keymaster

Here is a photo of my Ransomes MG2 at Claverton in 2007 with my son driving, I think it shows they will cope with hills OK.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Yes, it certainly does look like its coping well. Perfect for what I need, hope to pick one up if I can find an independent flail mower no wider than 1.0m … thanks for the info everyone … Jan

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Seeing the post from Rob Patton, does anyone have photos of a finger bar mower fitted to an MG?

crawler
    Participant

Hello Jonathan
    It took me a while to find the photos of the finger mower on the MG as I had archived them onto an external hard drive.
    This MG2 fitted with a rear finger mower was listed on that auction site a number of years ago. I cant remember if it sold or not.
    It looks like a finger mower has been modified to attach to the Ransomes, in any of the brochures that I’ve seen I have never seen any mention of any finger mower that was made specially for a MG.

Attachments:
    franktonpaget
    Participant

From a Ransomes MG Sales Brochure I have there were two “approved” trailed finger mowers for the MG.One was the Bamford model A2T controlled from the tractor seat and the other was the Albion no 12 fitted with a operators seat but which could be lifted from the tractor seat for one or two man operation. Both mowers were 3’6″ cut.
    I have not seen any mention of a mounted mower but many manufacturers made mounted and semi mounted pto drive finger mowers, Featherstone seems to have been popular for use with smaller tractors and made cutter bars as small as 2’6″.
    Any Ransome MG topic on the Forum seems to bring a flood of information so lets see.

regards Joe Paget

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Many thanks Rob and Joe, I think it is fascinating how people have adapted machines to work with these tractors, a couple of weeks ago I found a mounted cement mixer for an MG5.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.