project HOLDER AGAIN

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects project HOLDER AGAIN

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Its coming together nicely now Nigel,i am pleased that you tried my steering wheel restoration method, I have been doing it that way for many years now so its well tried and tested.

vhgmcbuddy

well i managed to get the panals straitend out a bit over the last couple of weeks, and today sprayed some shiny stuff on

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Just found this thread, awesome Job Nigel , love the fabrication work

vhgmcbuddy

the downside to our hobby, i went to my workshop today and my paintwork looked spoton now as you know i want to use this tractor for working days when it is finished and want some thing easy to clean, so i spent all morning wet flating my nice shiney paintwork so i could give it a coat of 2k laquer, look what happend two weeks of work gone up the swanny.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

That is just heart beaking Nigel , I do know how you feel though as it has happened to me a couple of times . I dont know why the laquer reacts badly with the enamel .
    hopefully someone will know the answer to this problem .
    Maybe this is a thread that is worth doing at some point

charlie
    Keymaster

I am guessing it is the old problem of a reaction between the two types of paint/lacquer.

vhgmcbuddy

it just seems that the 2k clear coat has eaten into the enamal i dont know why because ive done it many times before with out any problems

vhgmcbuddy

It’s the old synthetic vs cellulose based. I mainly get it when spraying primer over flatted paintwork. It’s bloody frustrating!!!

vhgmcbuddy

It’s the acids in primers, retain moisture and hates lacquer.. how long after you’d put the enamel on before the lacquer Nigel..?? I guess you’d know to leave it as long as you can.. but it’s just got to be 1000% dried & cured.. time more than heat is the safe route.. but time ain’t always there I know.. but it’s one hell of a fantastic job you are doing.. just hope you get it sorted before doing anything drastic ( like wot I used to do! )

Brilliant work so far!

Titch

vhgmcbuddy

its my own fault painted it one day dried it with heat, clearcoat next day, i should have known better, but you know how it is when your on the home run of a project you tend to do things that you would not normaly do and regret it later:S

vhgmcbuddy

well after alot of flatting i repainted the bits and started to fit them.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

TOP BANANA!!!!

vhgmcbuddy

Now that does look nice ,
    I would love you to do one of my restorations Nigel
    Great job

vhgmcbuddy

That is looking great mate, well done

vhgmcbuddy

Some nice work there mate, shame the paint pickled first time.. But these things happen some time.
    I need to get over when I have a chance to check the Holder out..
    Keep up the great work mate 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.