Power Skip ID help!

Home Forums General Help and information Power Skip ID help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello. I am trying to find any info on this powered skip believed to be 1950’s. It has 12″ wheels and a coventry gearbox unit with forward, reverse and neutral, also a diff and drum brake shaft. What engine and seat if any did it have? Thanks for any info at all.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

Looks interesting! To potentially narrow it down a bit, do you have any idea of the original colour or any id on the equipment?

vhgmcbuddy

Hello Alan. I will have a scrape tomo and get a pic of the gearbox. Thanks.

charlie
    Keymaster

Another photo showing a view from end with drawbar would help too.

vhgmcbuddy

Hello. The colour seems to be a green over red lead maybe, the old orange stuff. Hope this helps with the pics. Wondering if it was mass produced then what kind of engine and rear steering it may have had?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

P R Motors of Coventry were what remained of the Riley car company, the PR stands for Percy Riley.

vhgmcbuddy

Ah ha, well thanking you kindly, my first lead,👍😄.

vhgmcbuddy

It seems PR motors made a gearbox for dumpers in 1955 known as the cm, constant mesh. I will have a look inside this one as the older crash boxes are described as fabricated and cast steel. My one is a cast alloy, model not on the plate! It still seems to engage and drive with the diff working fine, a test would be under load. Next to find how it originally looked, the late 90 yr old owner who gave me it cannot remember, he towed it around behind a grey fergie! Cheers the noo.

alan
    Participant

Looking through the archives it might be the remains of a Stothert & Pitt powered barrow. The one in the image has a Robin engine although S&P used Villiers MK12 and MK15 engines on many machines.

http://vhgmc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Stothert-Pitt-Powered-Barrow-1.jpg

null

vhgmcbuddy

Thats great Alan, top marks I’d say. That makes sense now as it is too small to be a four wheeled dumper so its history is a drawbar being welded on after the engine died and other brackets gas axed off too.
    So the plan now is to marry it to an auto gardener that is beyond repair to original and conjour up a 4wd Doe style twin engined oddity,👍😀.
    I will keep you posted once every other project gets done, oh and paying jobs, 🙄. Thanks loads for your time, Andy King near Kinross.

charlie
    Keymaster

I only learnt of P R Motors through the work I have been doing as a volunteer at MERL cataloguing the Geo Monro drawings they have. P R Motors name appears on some of the drawings and it appears they carried out some machining and assembly work for Geo Monro during production of the Rototiler 56 and 35.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.