Photo Gallery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dave
    Participant

Just wanted to say very well done to the website admin team for all the work on the new photo gallery. it is very impressive and highly informative.
    Dave

trusty-mad
    Participant

I must agree. the photo gallery is a great addition to the forum. also the new “what is it” section looks to be very handy. well done team.

trusty220
    Keymaster

You’ve got to thank Alan Newbould for the hard work on the galleries. So far he has logged and captioned 7,000 photo’s, many of them from the old Tractorbox forum, so we all owe him an enormous vote of thanks for his hard work.

The “What is it” section is something that I’ve concocted as a result of Alan being uncertain of some of the items in the galleries; normally we can identify unusual machines using our combined knowledge, and if that fails we can look it up somewhere. But why should we have all the fun? The combined knowledge of all of our readers will be far greater and wider in it’s scope, so we thought that we’d give some of the work back to you!

We hope you enjoy browsing through the new sections and if you can add anything please feel free to do so.

Geoff

alan
    Participant

Thank you, Geoff. I’m a little bleary eyed. Just another 355 photos left!

I would like to add that the gallery has only been possible because the VHGMC members have generously submitted photos of a vast range and multitude of machines and gadgets. Indeed the gallery has ended up far greater than ever expected. It’s probably the best photo reference for UK horticultural machinery – thank you VHGMC members.

I worked out that over 99% of the photos are of machines that are physically in the UK, even if the machine in question was originally made in the US, Australia, Europe or anywhere else.

It is quite an eye-opener when sifting through photographs as similarities between machines start to become apparent. Near identical machines labelled up with different manufacturers logos or decals are not uncommon.

As expected there are gaps in the gallery with some manufacturers and machines missing. If anything is missing then members can of course let us know. Photos posted on the forum can be added to the gallery pages by admin as long as we know what the machine is of course! If I’ve wrongly labelled anything on the galleries then you can also type a revision under the relevant photo and we can correct it.

roatavator
    Participant

I can only add my thanks and congratulations. What a wonderful resource, thanks Alan!

alan
    Participant

There appears to be a make of machinery for almost every letter of the alphabet except for X and Z.

If anyone can think of anything suitable for X or Z then the club can say it has a list of machines for every letter.

I’ve looked through the 70 Years of Garden Machinery book and cannot spy anything yet!

andyfrost
    Participant

Don’t know if it applies , but how long have zenoah been producing machinery.

Andy.

hillsider
    Participant

If it helps a quick Google search found this:-

http://www.zenoah.co.jp/int/company/zenoah-brand/

It would appear that the Zenoah brand has been around for quite a while, then in 2007 became a partner company of Husqvarna.
    I also found reference to the Danarm company being importers of Zenoah chainsaws in 1984 on page 202 of Fifty Years of Garden Machinery.

wristpin
    Participant

Zenoah or Xenoah? One and the same, or different companies?
    Xenoah manufactured brush cutters were around when I first got involved in the garden machinery business in the late 70s – usually branded by machinery distributors such as Allen Power Equipment, EP Barrus, Mountfield and Paice and Sons of Maidstone.
    I have several parts lists with the X spelling for the Allen branded brush cutters dating from 1976.

alan
    Participant

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Zenoah and Xenoah are two names I have never heard off before but connections with Allen, Danarm and Rupp are spot on.

I shall have a look and see if there are any photos that they are associated with and finish the A-Z.

Many thanks.

charlie
    Keymaster

I still have my fathers old Xenoah (sure it spelt with an X) brushcutter. I will have to dig it out of the shed and confirm spelling, plus photograph it so we can add it to the gallery.

vhgmcbuddy

Here is one for the gallery alan , its a four seasons scrub cutter.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I think Xenoah was (or is) a division of Komatsu, the bulldozer people. The full name was Komatsu-Xenoah and they came up with a revolutionary brushcutter in the early nineties; it consisted of two circular blades with hedgecutter-like teeth all around the outside, and the engine drove both blades in opposite directions to each other. Great for grass because it didn’t throw stones/dog muck/debris all over you and you could even cut pondweed underwater with it. Our fertiliser rep at the time used to sell it for edging bunkers on golf courses; this was great for repeat spares business because the blades used to go blunt very quickly.

Happy days!

trusty-mad
    Participant

a couple of photos for the x-machine file.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

Many thanks for all the images that have been sent. There are some fascinating images.

Trusty-mad thank you for the ‘bike’ images which I’ve now archived.

In total there is now 7559 images and I still have a couple of hundred more to go at!

Some really good images like the one below:

VHGMC

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.