Pattinson grass aerator

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Pattinson grass aerator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just got around to restoring this aerator. fitted with the sloper engine.anyone with working knowledge with this or has any info please step up. thanks.

vhgmcbuddy

hummm don’t know where this has gone

vhgmcbuddy

Okay I think I have grasped the problem. I was not down sizeing the photos. Here I have this as a new project. the pattinson aerator powered by the sloper engine. sticking valve was the first problem,then the off on switch was rusted in the stop position. so here are some photos pre restoration. anyone with knowledge of these please step up as its a total unknown machine.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

a few more.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

If you have moles in your lawn that will give them a headache!

I don’t imagine the machine will take you too long to sort out how it works, but if you are looking for engine information I can send you a pdf copy of the Villiers F12 manual if it would help?
    Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

ray what a godsend. I have at the moment a flooding carb and not sure how the float comes out of the bowl. my e mail is johndwebster@sky.com thanks.

charlie
    Keymaster

Nice to another piece of grass maintenance equipment preserved, an area of our hobby often overlooked.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I’ve sold one or two of these in my time. They were still made up to the start of the 1990’s but were superseded by machines that could put a closer hole spacing down. You used to be able to buy all sorts of hollow tines for them as well as solid tines and flat blades called Root Pruning Knives which used to make a long slot under the turf to improve aeration.
    Another victim of the Health and Safety brigade, I’m afraid; it finally went off the market because it couldn’t be fitted with an Operator Presence system successfully. Once you put it into the working position and started it off it would just keep going if you let it go- the only thing that would stop it would be a large, immovable object (like a tank)! It would easily roll over a person that got in it’s way, or anything else that is soft for that matter.

vhgmcbuddy

thank you both. this was a find in a lot of brambles and the growth was very very thick so the amount of leaves covering it was virtually water tight.the flooding carb saga was revealed when I figured out the means of dismanteling.where the float needle passes through the float at the bottom,years of wear had made the entry point slack therefore letting in petrol to the float and in turn making it heavy,and so after a certain time it began to sink and then flooding occured. so my remedy was to take the needle out ,put a good dollop of araldite around the float and then inserted the needle and left the carb upside down for a day or so until hardening is completed.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Some Pattison Sales Information on the SP (Self Propelled) Turf Piercer which I think you have

regards FP

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

thanks that a good start to the restoration.

wristpin
    Participant

Still got a couple of those root pruning blades grafted onto file handles – good scrapers for under deck cleaning etc!

vhgmcbuddy

Have had quite a job trying to stop the carburetta from flooding.on further investigation the float at the bottom was worn and the petrol was filling the float to such a degree that in turn it was sinking,causing it to overfill the bowl.
    desperate measures where needed and a blob of araldite was applied and that sealed up the gaps. tested the repair and all was well. however when the top was fitted to bowl it still flooded. by now I could not see why as vision to the inside of bowl was none existant.
    Removing the top I decovered that the tube on the lid which the float needle goes into was to long and with the lid on it was pushing the float down and causing the excess fuel to exit via the overflow.therefore I kept filling the guide down until it behaved as it should.
    I think that some previous person had replaced the top of carb for some reason and not realised the consequencies and gave up on it without realising why it was constantly fooding.

vhgmcbuddy

Having got everything tickety boo I could not resist starting the engine. would not go at first and I feared the worst,a new coil,condenser etc. Then applying the electric drill for a faster rotation withing 30 seconds the engine struck up……..RESULT Happy as larry i was , had been fortunate and not bought a lemon.

vhgmcbuddy

While the engine is not on the machine its a good time to paint it, and have been looking for a colour in which to give it a makeover,luckily for my wallet I have a colour in good quantitys in which to give it a new coat so this is the next part of the restoration,this engine has only got two pieces of tin work,the engine cowl and the petrol tank .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.