Oxford Allen no power

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Oxford Allen no power

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have an Oxford Allen serial number 95671 with 2-stroke Villiers motor. It starts and runs reasonably well but will not rev and cuts out when asked to do any work. Can anyone give me some advice on how to sort this problem? Many thanks

ted20
    Participant

could be coil giving warning of giving up, does it cut out suddenly or stutter ? if stutter I would look at carb. Villiers electrics sometimes give good spark until put to work then there is no resistance hence engine cuts out try simple things first like spark plug, condenser etc.

rollomk6
    Participant

Hi martyn -c also check your ignition timing as it is very important with a two stroke

vhgmcbuddy

quick update
    have carried out timing check again and again pretty sure its good. have cleaned carb til it shines 🙂 but still no improvement. plug is new. latest thing i have noticed that after around 2/3 throttle it actually gets worse, which leads me to think fuel shortage. is fuel getting into bowl quick enough? wrong needle? wrong float?or what size should main jet be? as you can see clutching at straws now.
    any help or thoughts appreciated or anyone with working carb near derby?

andyfrost
    Participant

“IF” you,re absolutely certain the timing is correct , as it has been mentioned previously , it is vital on Villiers twostrokes.
    You have now got to investigate both the crankshaft seals , and cylinder bore/piston rings , unless it’s a very late 25c , the crank seals will be the gland bush type.

Andy.

merry-tiller
    Participant

Gradual flywheel slippage affects (retards) the timing and although it may have been perfectly assembled to start with it can end up too retarded to do any real work. I used degreaser, flour paper on the shaft to dull the finish then some Loctite. It lasts about a year before I have to redo it! Why Allen didn’t key the shaft at the correct timing only they will ever know!

charlie
    Keymaster

The secret to stopping flywheel slip is degrease and clean both parts of taper then tighten flywheel properly. Villiers supplied a special ring spanner for this with a large lump on the end so it could be hit with a hammer.

vhgmcbuddy

thanks all
    have snowpeaked the timing marks to make it easier to check and all still seems to be good, degreased taper every time. andy are you thinking it may not be ‘sucking’ enough? this would surprise me as put hand over carb when running and it ‘sucks’ 🙂 . still puzzled why it would get worse when throttle goes above 2/3, makes me think too much air not enough fuel, does anyone agree? still open to any or all suggestions. will defiantly get this sorted. hopefully!!!

charlie
    Keymaster

I never use the timing marks on Villiers engines. I always set timing by setting piston at correct position eg 1/8″ BTDC for a MK15, then set flywheel so points are just opening. Checking several times during tightening of flywheel to make sure it has not moved.

andyfrost
    Participant

That’s VERY sound advice from Charlie , I too , never rely on timing marks , machines of our era have more than likely had various parts swapped during their working life , none more so than Villiers ignition plates.
    Your 25c may appear to have ample “suction” , but is your crankcase compression being lost through the main seals.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

thanks for the advice
    looks like a happy weekend doing timing and compression test. keep your fingers crossed 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.