Old Flymo assistance sought

Home Forums General Help and information Old Flymo assistance sought

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi there I’m just a newbie to this forum so go gently. I have an old Flymo hover mower and it has just stopped working and I’d like to know if I can get any advice on troubleshooting the problem? It’s been a stalwart of a machine,I can’t fault it and it owes me nothing, I’ve tried replacing the cabling to no avail. I have a picture of myself and son next to the machine when he was about 6..he’s 36 now!! I’ve tried troubleshooting this however I don’t know how to test the capacitor or carbon brushes or for that point the actual motor. This would appear to be the 3 areas that has the problem. I can bypass the microswitch. When I perform continuity testing everything seems fine, however I’m no expert. When I press the on/off switch it trips the CB in my electrical box. All other appliances work fine from the same circuit. IT’s a great machine and I’d rather replace the parts than buy another machine if possible. Any advice and assistance would be appreciated before I send my old friend to the scrapyard.. Pictures can be supplied. thanks in advance JD

charlie
    Keymaster

I am not an electrical expert but if the circuit breaker is tripping this would indicate an electrical fault, either short circuit or contact somewhere due to damaged insulation possibly. Have you given everything a good clean to ensure it is not a build up of dirt and dust causing the problem? Have you tried looking for a circuit diagram online?

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie I appreciate your response. I’ve replaced all the cabling with new cabling where possible. I’ve ran a strimmer and other items off the same circuit and have no problems. Borrowed a lawnmower from the mother in law and no issues. The basic design looks simple enough. a Microswitch to start/stop, this runs to a capacitor in the motor and finally into the motor via Carbon brushes (I think that’s the route) so I can bypass the Micro, leaving the rest. I suppose the windings in the motor could have deteriorated with age. I would have just like to have isolated the problem. I can replace any of these items if they are still available, however it may be more cost effective to replace the machine. I understand this however I was just trying to see if I could breathe more live into the auld yin. PS No I’m not sure where I’d find a circuit diagram…I have cleaned where I can access, even separated the motor and don’t see anything obvious.. thanks again any further help from anyone appreciated…

wristpin
    Participant

Can you be a bit specific about what model you have or even add an image or two? I have the Flymo workshop manuals from the late 70s so may be able to assist.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Wristpin here are the images I discussed… thanks JD

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

another 2 images

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Just remember that you are playing with mains electricity so I suggest that anything that you do should be via a residual current device RCD. Don’t just rely on your household box to protect you – its actually there to protect the house !
    If you are determined to fiddle around with it I suggest connecting a short fly lead to the choc bar connecter where you have the white and orange wires connected and plug it straight into your RCD and wall socket.
    If it runs ok you have isolated the issue to the mains cable and switch – if not I’d bin it.

vhgmcbuddy

THANK YOU APPRECIATED..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.