Newbie Help – Howard Gem

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Newbie Help – Howard Gem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, I have had owned a Howard before but not one this old. Its a Howard Gem with a BJ engine. People tell me its a dry sump and that it needs oil. Tried looking in the on line manuals but cannot find how to or when to put in oil and what type. Also any tips or help in starting the machine plus maintenance tips would help. Lastly, any advice on removing the covers to do some welding and replace the tines.

Attachments:
    ted20
    Participant

oil goes in the front section of the fuel tank. it should have two filler caps rear one is for petrol front one for oil I use sae30 oil but make sure the tap under the oil tank is turned on ie straight down the dry sump system works by pumping oil from the tank and round inside the engine the pump is situated at the front of the engine as viewed from the handlebars dave

stuart
    Participant

There should be a twin compartment fuel and oil tank on the machine.Petrol in one side where the pipe goes to the carburettor and engine oil in the other.The engine has an oil pump fitted and the oil then returns to the tank (or should do !!).

vhgmcbuddy

Hi many thanks, is it just fill her up or is there a max or min amount….. any advice on servicing, things I need to do to make sure I don’t do any damage when I fire it up. Cheers
    John

hortiman
    Participant

I would maintain at least half a tank full at all times.
    When the engine is running you should see oil bleeding back into the tank, in spurts. Just take off the oil filler cap, look inside you will see a short stub of pipe just under the cap, this is where the oil should return into the tank. don’t expect a big gush, as it only just comes through in small spurts.

Good luck

charlie
    Keymaster

Before starting ensure machine is in neutral and tines are disengaged to avoid any accidents. Turn fuel on, tickle carb, open throttle a bit then wind starting handle. If engine has not run for some time it might be a good idea to check for a spark at plug before starting. Once engine is running check for oil flow as said by hortiman.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi really appreciate all the help… Checked the oil and it’s pretty thick so was going to change oil and clean the carb. Is it just ordinary unleaded fuel ? Also, when starting do I just turn the handle clockwise several times or is there owt else cheers john

vhgmcbuddy

You can download copies of manuals for the Gem, as well as other Howard machines, from http://howard-rotavator-spares.com/manuals.php. Hopefully, one of them will apply to your Gem.

As for the fuel, it will most likely require leaded petrol, so you will need to mix a lead replacement additive in with the unleaded.

hortiman
    Participant

You will find a decompressor lever under the frame just below the rotor selector lever, lift this and hold it up whilst swinging the starting handle, when you have a bit of momentum, release the lever when you are on an upward stroke. Just plain unleaded petrol.

Good luck.

charlie
    Keymaster

I use Ethomix supplied by Frost Restoration to help reduce problems ethanol in modern fuel can cause.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all many thanks for your help… Got a plan to get her going, does anyone know if it’s difficult to remove the rotovator covers so I can repair some hols and tines cheers

vhgmcbuddy

I have a howard Gem that seems to have something wrong in the gearbox. It has only one forward gear and three reverse. Can anyone help please?

wristpin
    Participant

I know little about Gems but the simple answer would be that the engine is running in reverse. Not unheard of with some two-strokes but somewhat unlikely with a four-stroke.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you so much. I feel a bit of an idiot as I have had Gem’s for years but not a 2 stroke diesel before. You were absolutely right…..Thank you. Rob

vhgmcbuddy

Hi guys I’m completely rebuilding a 1947 British Junior engined gem.
    After stripping down the engine I’ve noticed two different valves and different guides. I think somebody at some point has bodged a different valve and guide in. Any idea on a replacement valve? I can get a valve guide turned easy enough. I’m sure I’ve read that Landrover valves fit??

Thanks
    Jay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.