Mystery SIMAR

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Wow! You weren’t kidding about being “in” the garden! Good to see you’ve rescued it and look forward to more pictures once it’s cleaned up a bit

charlie
    Keymaster

No idea how long it was buried, possibly 40 or 50 years. I have started to clean it up, attacking the heavy rusting on the wheels with an air chisel. Restoration would be a very expensive job, as I suspect the engine internals are rusted solid due to water ingress. After cleaning I might be tempted to attempt a strip down of the machine just to see.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I bet you’ll have it running next week! It certainly doesn’t look as bad as it first looked, and you may be surprised by the internals.

Go on, you’re dying to look!

roatavator
    Participant

If anyone can do it, Charlie can!

charlie
    Keymaster

A before and after view of the one wheel I have cleaned up so far using air chisel.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Even after all these years there are still traces of the original paint.

Attachments:
    hortiman
    Participant

Do you know where it worked in Sussex Charlie ?, I guess a machine of that size would have been on a commercial nursery or a big private garden/ estate.

Not sur when Monro took over the dealership, I know my Father bought his 30 from Monro before the war.

charlie
    Keymaster

Chris, the machine came from near Rotherfield. I believe Geo Monro took over in 1930 and think machine dates from the 1920’s. A 1938 advert for the 50 shows a 16 year old model 4.

hortiman
    Participant

I guess it was an earlier model than the type 5. Any clues to the make of the engine ?

I know there was/is a long established tree nursery close to Rotherfield, it was latterly part of the ‘Coblands group’

andyfrost
    Participant

Charlie , I’m guessing it’s an early MAG engine.

Andy.

charlie
    Keymaster

No clues so far regarding make of engine, magneto or carburettor. I have now found what I assume is an engine number on the crankcase.
    Thinking about what to do with this machine I may clean up one side and leave the other as found. Amazingly the large nut holding the wheel on came undone with no effort, one was almost finger loose.
    Photos show engine number, axle with wheel removed and oil level sight glass on front of crankcase.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Looking at it, I’d say it would be worth a bash at restoring, under the hunger it doesn’t seem anywhere near as bad as it first looked.

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry auto correct hunger should read gunge.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Leave one side untouched?? I see what your game is- now that you’ve retired you want to take it to shows and put a sign in front saying, ” Ran out of money halfway through restoration; please give generously”

A scheme worthy of The Gnome himself. Why didn’t i think of it first?

charlie
    Keymaster

Aghhhh rumbled.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.