My New Transport

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

Hi all, long tme no post, but I’m back.
    After a very long wait I have finally bought myself some suitable transport. Only need now to get suitable ramps made up and me and Jr are ready to come out to play!

May well be able to get to Weeley, but we’re also selling house so will depend on removals date.

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Lovely truck!

Don’t see many of them about now, yours looks to be in good condition.

May I suggest lots and lots of waxoyl in every possible orifice, try to keep a lid on the the 1970’s British vehicle rot!

Good luck,

Joe.

dave
    Participant

I like your style. Good luck with the move and hope to see you and your new
    transport at Weeley. Dave.

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks chaps.

She’s in pretty good condition overall, having been in storage for several years, owned by a farmer then an enthusuiast, regularly dosed underneath with waste oil, we had her up on a ramp before buying, and all looks well! She’d done virtually no miles in the last 7 years, we took a chance driving her home 160 odd miles, but she got here no problem.
    I only intend to use her when there’s no salt on the roads, and if possible not when raining, and she fits in a standard garage.

Dave, as you might gather I’m not absolutely sure abour Weeley, but if we’ve moved and if I have ramps, I’ll be there. I’ll let you know as soon as I’m sure.

Peter

will-haggle
    Participant

Hi Peter, nice truck, has it got the 1725cc Hillman engine, or a later one?

dorigny
    Participant

I remember a builder neighbour having one of these. I think he may have put the wooden body and dropsides on it himself.? I seem to think his was wider than the lower body.?…long time ago.

I also remember the Corgi toys version. 🙂

Clive.

roatavator
    Participant

Clive. As far as we know she’s original. She has built in tool storage under the bed each side and a ladder store accessed from the rear. Commer fans say they are very rare, but if anyone knows different…..

Alan. She’s actually got the Perkins diesel. Noisy doesn’t do it justice! But the payoff is 35mpg plus. Apparently diesels are even rarer.

charlie
    Keymaster

That reminds me of my days as an apprentice with what was Post Office Telecommunications (now BT) they had a fleet of the enclosed vans. I also drove a TV detector van of this type which had an automatic gearbox. Hope you can make it to Weeley.

stevewoollas
    Participant

Hello Pete, What a super truck to carry vintage horticultural tractors on. Commer PB pick ups are rare now and I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw one in the flesh. Most PB pick ups had fixed pressed steel half sides which held water quite well until the truck floor rotted away. Your dropsider is the builders body specifically designed for manual loading and unloading with a shovel and today is a rare bird indeed. I used to drive a steel sided PB pickup in the 70’s which had a fixed cab height steel canopy over the front half of the load body. I believe it previously had a Harvey Frost type recovery crane mounted over the rear axle.
    Am I correct in thinking the Perkins diesel fitted in these is the 4108? as per Mk1 diesel Transit.
    Enjoy it–Steve

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Steve
    Yes, me and Jr consider ourselves very lucky!
    Funnily enough, on a certain internet auction site there is currently a van type pick up with the lower floor and wheel arhes protruding into the load area, no tool boxes or ladder box underneath.
    Yes, the engine is a 4108, although there appear to be one or two unusual features (I don’t pretend to know much but the experts on the Commer forum have pointed out the cold start device on mine may not be the usual one). Also, there may be some doubt as to whether the truck originally had a diesel fitted, the ID number suggests petrol when new.
    35 odd mpg from the diesel is something I’m quite happy with, though I did find a packet of earplugs in the cab!!

Peter

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.