Monro Tiller MK2 Restoration

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Monro Tiller MK2 Restoration

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

I don’t recognise those washers immeadiateley. What size are they?

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie, Sorry it has taken me so long to reply!! My life has been pretty crazy! The washers are 38mm in diameter and I still have no idea where they came from! Progress is coming along well, however I am having trouble finding tyres and the wheels are cracked beyond repair and I am looking at having new units cast. The engine is fully rebuilt and I even managed to find a brand new never used cylinder head with valves! Here is a photo of my progress so far. Regards Alastair.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Alastair, I may have a couple of wheels, are they steel or aluminium? Is it both halves that are cracked? Tyres are a problem as they are an obsolete size. Some models of Merry Tiller had the same size.
    The only washer I can think of that looks like the two mystery ones are the hub retaining washers MT214, although they have a hole not a dimple.

vhgmcbuddy

kiwibloke, your machine is looking wonderful. I’m working on a MK2 as well. Yours is providing inspiration.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Gregg, so sorry for the late reply!! Haha 3 kids and my life is busy! It is nearly complete now and looking great! Thanks to Charlie I have the original decal in place on the mill shroud and I have had new nameplates made. I managed to source new tyres as well which was the most difficult part! The original wheels were past it so I have had new aluminium ones cast up. I just have the cables to go and it’s all done!

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looking very smart.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Everyone,
    I see the mention of new tyres for the monro tiller, having a nightmare trying to source these, does anybody have a link please, I’m based in the U.K.?
    Thanks
    Thom

charlie
    Keymaster

The size of tyre for the Monro Tiller has been obsolete for years. If you have a series 1 or 2 machine you can get away with a modern tyre that is slightly taller. On a series 3 machine the taller tyre fouls the reverse gear housing.
    The small Barford Atom and Merry Tiller used the same size tyre and second hand ones do come up on e bay, but they seem to fetch a good price.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.