Merry Tiller with F. Wright Plough

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Merry Tiller with F. Wright Plough

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    will-haggle
    Participant

Some while ago I posted this picture of a plough I saw at the Shepton Mallet Game Fair. I now own it, so today I attached it to my Merry Tiller to see the effect.
    Pic.1: Plough as seen at the game fair
    Pic.2: Same one fitted to my 1968 Merry Tiller Major
    Pic.3: Other side view, before anyone says Majors don’t plough, I know..
    Pic.4: Name on the plough
    Pic.5: Close up of attachment, could it be a Wrights pull plough with an MT Skid cut and welded on? Has anyone got a Wrights catalogue showing it?

Attachments:
    jim-beacon
    Participant

If it’s homemade, it’s very good!
    You need a set of wheel weights anda balnce weight now.

will-haggle
    Participant

I have got the weights! From the same Gentleman….

andyfrost
    Participant

If it’s not original , it appears a very neat job. I’ve no idea when Wrights stopped making their hand ploughs ,or when they started, they were certainly made in the late 1920s as the AutoCulto model A used a converted Wright hand plough.

Andy.

stevewoollas
    Participant

Hello Will,
    Your plough is definitely a plough produced by F.Wright & Son, Holbeach, and is identical to their hand plough other than the addition of the vertical bar which allows the plough to mount onto the Merry Tiller. Their literature shows hand ploughs, hoes, skerrys, cultivators, ridger, and a push hoe. All were designed for use in small growing plots, poly tunnels and glass houses.
    Wrights are well remembered in the Holbeach area and I understand production commenced around 1953/4 and ceased in 1973/4 with an on-site dispersal sale.
    The plough was available with or without tail piece to the mouldboard and with either a disc or knife type skeith/coulter.
    I have seen this type of plough before with the vertical mounting bar at farm sales and I suspect Wrights developed this adaption to their standard hand plough specifically to mount onto small garden tractors—a nice find Alan….well done

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve got the disc but not the bracket which holds it on, the previous owner is looking for it….

adam4472
    Participant

Hello Steve, I have a few Wright’s implements, plough, ridger, cultivators (fixed and adjustable), hoes (Duck foot and side) and wondered if anyone had information on all products by them?

My dad made one in 1968, as originals were getting hard to come by, with help from local blacksmith in Wisbech, Cambs, which we still have.

Adam.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.