Merry Tiller drive wheels, ?.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Merry Tiller drive wheels, ?.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I bought this Merry Tiller none runner last week £32 plus 14 miles travelling to collect, it included the bits in the photo; the engine date is 1967 tiller PAT 714394, Serial M69151. So 1967 would be its age I presume. Their was no spark, I have cleaned the points and have a spark now. It will start with petrol down the plug hole but won’t run so I will have to clean the carb. 
    I don’t think the drive wheels are that old and might not even be Merry Tiller ones. I would be interested if anyone knows more about the wheels. Thanks Owen.

Attachments:
    jim-beacon
    Participant

Alan Rogers will probably be able to tell you if the engine matches the frame, but I think they are of the same period.
    The wheels are off a much later machine, po9ssibly a Norlett, but I’m not entirely sure. They look like good ones though!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for that Jim, I couldn’t find any Merry Tiller wheels that look like these. So you could be right with norlett, will see what I can find online.

will-haggle
    Participant

Jim’s right about the wheels, they are a conversion. Your MT is post 1966 and pre-1971 (engines changed to white around then), Handle mounting changed then to the single bolt type like Titan ones, previous ones had 3 bolts. To get a good idea of the age of the machine you can find out the date of the engine, it’s on the cowl under the air cleaner, and it’s the bottom set of digits. It only works if you’ve got the original cowl still on there.

http://merrytiller.co.uk/merry-tiller-history.htm

will-haggle
    Participant
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Alan. The engine No on the cowl dates the engine 1967, so that matches in with the MT.
    I’ve got it running OK, bit of blue smoke so might take the head of and have a look.

jim-beacon
    Participant

There’s often some blue smoke with those engines – run it under load for a while, and then look at the spark plug. It may well run a little rich (may be adjustable, depending on which carb it has), or it may be a little worn and sucking up a bit of oil.
    In fact, check that it isn’t overfilled with oil first!

Jim.

will-haggle
    Participant

Just needs a hone and new rings, My newest one is 1968, Serial No is M72376, my 1965 one is M54343….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks to you both for your advice, I will give it a work out some time, over all appearance don’t suggest it’s had excessive work. Owen.

vhgmcbuddy

Just identified my wheels from new ones on Ebay. Flymo DM Rotavator drive wheels. Thought some would turn up eventually.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.