Martin Markham Trailer Renovation – Help!

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Martin Markham Trailer Renovation – Help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi,
    I have acquired an old Tipping Trailer that I’m starting to renovate. I’ve been told that it’s an old Martin Markham trailer (it has some remnants of light blue paint – but apart from that I don’t have any further information.

From the photos, is anyone able to help me with information?

– Does anyone have ANY information they can give me about the trailer (model, year and the like)?
    – Anyone got any ideas for spare parts (it’s missing a handbrake mechanism and hydraulic pipe support, brake plates and linkages)?
    – What is the correct tone of blue I need to buy to repaint it (RAL colour code)?

Much appreciated

Gareth

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry, photos exceeded the upload. here are some reduced size photos.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

From research the company of Martin Markham was formed in 1952 from the two companies of Markham Traction LTD and Martin Cultivator Company.

I have a 1947 advert for a Markham Traction trailer and also a 1958 advert for a Martin Markham trailer, so an advert before the merger and one after the companies merger. Both appear to be different trailers and yours is much like the 1958 advert for their Champion trailer.

There appears to be a lot of dealers for the trailers including: E.H.Knights & Sons LTD, Harleston. Rose Bros (Tamworth) LTD. Aylesbury Motor Co LTD. W.Harold Perry LTD, Whetstone. Hugh Craigs, Market Square, Ballyclare, Ireland.

Price for the 1958 trailer was £170 ex. works.

I’ve attached the images as thumbnails but larger images are now uploaded to the gallery, just click the images/links below:

Markham-Champion-Trailer-1958

Markham-trailer-drawbar-closeup

Markham-trailer-1947

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Alan,
    Sorry not to reply sooner, but I’ve been away with work. Great of you to reply and thanks for the leaflets – both very relevant.
    Those leaflets are interesting and they have some similarities to my trailer, and some differences.
    I have learnt elsewhere that the wheels were a Martin Markham unique feature in that the rims can be bolted inside or outside the centre flange to alter the tracking width.
    I’ve found that there is an archive of Martin Markham literature at the University of Reading, in their archive of Museum Rural Life. When I get the chance, I’ll make an appointment and view the records.
    You’ve made me think about visiting some local agricultural dealers again now I’ve got more information as that may generate some leads too.
    If you think of anything else, please do let me know.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Having a sort out at present and came across a spare parts list for a Martin Markham all steel 70/90 Trailer with a A3 size centre fold exploded view of the trailer with blow up’s of hydraulics, brakes, hitch etc

Send me a PM with your E mail details and I will scan and send to you.
    Unlike yours it has steel deck and sides but running gear and chassis look same so it may assist your restoration

regards Joe Paget

vhgmcbuddy

Hi,
    That would be great.
    It’s gareth@themanse.plus.com
    Many thanks
    Gareth

vhgmcbuddy

Almost finished!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.