Late Trusty Tractor

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Late Trusty Tractor

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    halfa
    Participant

Hi everyone. I have just bought my second Trusty, the first is a standard single speeder which has been used with much enjoyment an my allotment with a plough, ridgers, and discs. But the opportunity to upgrage to a later model with a reverse box and transmission brake came along I could not resist. Her J.A.P 5 runs well after a bit of tinkering, the only thing is she is currently post van red colour, a bit of scraping around revealed that under this she was fluorescent orange and under this the bright Trusty green. Can anyone tell me the paint code or name for this bright green as I would in time like to return her to this colour. She is machine number 14091 and the number on the plough that came with her is 8004. If any fellow enthusiasts have any additional info on her it would be gratefully received

trusty220
    Keymaster

The serial number that you quoted would refer to a Trusty made in August 1949. This would have been very early for the Apple Green colour, but just around the time that it changed from Brunswick Green to Apple Green. The closest match that I have found so far for my tractors is Amazone Green from farm machinery dealers- it is slightly lighter than John Deere green which some people seem to prefer.
    The number on the plough is not recorded in any records, so sadly I can’t tell you anything about the serial number on that plate. If you put a photo on this posting I can possibly tell you which plough it is and anything else to do with the tractor.

halfa
    Participant

Many thanks Geoff, this is a photo

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

A very sought after specification, and probably the best; a single speed with Safety Reverse and the optional Transmission Brake. It has the later sliding axles with the correct two-piece wheel hubs for this age of machine (later hubs were single piece with two clamping bolts, these ones have a loose clamping piece and a U-bolt to clamp them together).
    The lever for the Transmission Brake seems to be a little home-made, though; I will try to find a picture of the genuine article.
    The plough is the standard Greyhound Plough which was classed by the factory as a General Purpose Plough. It is ideal for ploughing matches if that’s what you are aiming at.
    Colours that it should be are as follows:-
    Green (either Mid- or Dark- Brunswick Green)- Everything apart from the engine and wheels
    Red (closest that I have found is MF Super Red)- Wheels
    JAP Engine- Normally left in manufacturers’ colour which was pale blue metallic, but some engines were painted the same colour as the tractor (either would be correct)

halfa
    Participant

Thanks Geoff, a picture of the brake lever assembly would be very useful when u get a chance as the current lever is a ratchet type like a car handbrake which is not the easiest to operate and thank you for the other information it is very interesting and helpful.

vhgmcbuddy

Excellent Trusty Halfa. I found the photo particularly useful as I am in the process of restoring the plough fitted to my Norton engined Trusty (see http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8005). I now know what the disc coulter mounting arrangement should be. Also, I notice that the plough share on yours is much longer than mine!!

halfa
    Participant

Glad the photo was of some use to you Sean. I have been lucky to find a plough in this condition, underneath the 4 or so layers of paint it is as tight as the day it was made there is no play whatsoever in any of the moving parts, and no wear on disc, share and the board is also in great condition, not sure if the landslide is bit worn as I have never seen an original one. I have been following your Norton engine Trusty on old forum, you have made a super job so far.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.