Is it a Landmaster Yak ?

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Is it a Landmaster Yak ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    franktonpaget
    Participant

On page 7 of the November 2013 edition of Cultivator there was a photograph of a four wheel motor truck, I cannot find a description to identify it on the page show reports but is it a Landmaster Yak ?
    I think Landmaster Ltd of Hucknall developed the “Yak” as a light tractor and runabout from the Nash Roller Tractor, from adverts it was described as covered by Nash patents.
    I attach advert for Landmaster Yak
    Can anybody confirm this ?
    regards FP

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

The photograph in The Cultivator shows a Nash belonging to Dick Bentley.

franktonpaget
    Participant

They look pretty identical I wonder when Landmaster took over manufacturing rights ?
    Nash Roller Tractors had handle steering rather than a steering wheel although the later Nash 12 Dumper does have identical styling with a steering wheel but larger rear wheels and a lister diesel engine.
    I wonder if the Nash owned by Dick Bentley still has the roller advertised by Nash as a built in roller flywheel giving the transmission greater drawbar pull than any comparable machine.
    I think the Landmaster Yak developed into the Landmaster Truc Tracta range but have never seen any.
    There seems to have been a growth in machines produced by Landmaster when part of the Firth Cleveland Group.Been having a Literature sort out recently and sold some Landmaster items to a chap in Norway who is restoring a Landmaster 150 cultivator so they must have exported as well.
    Quite interestingly he had a number of British machines in his collection all originally sold new in Norway and I have pointed him in the direction of VHGMC as a group of kindred spirits with knowledge to aid his restorations.
    After world war two must have been a golden age for British machinery manufacturers encouraged to export worldwide, I was on holiday visiting a tea factory in Sri Lanka (Ceylon) and they were still using machinery produced by Ransomes of Ipswich but new machines were made in China.
    regards FP

charlie
    Keymaster

I know Geo Monro exported a few Rototillers to Norway also.

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve got a photo of Dick’s machine from the Honiton Hills Rally, no Roller and has a BSA 420 engine…..

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

looking at the yak you can see many other machines all rolled into one. mainly early dumpers from building sites in days past. got a close up of the footwell and wondered how many people with baggy trousers got there trouser leg caught up in the engine pulley nearest them ?

franktonpaget
    Participant

H.R.Nash did produce a dumper the Nash 12, (see attached advert)the styling is as Dick Bentley’s machine except the tipping hopper .Larger 16″ rear wheels were fitted together with the roller “flywheel” and a single cylinder Lister diesel engine replaced the BSA petrol engine.
    I wonder if any survived ?,never seen any at rallies or in magazines.

regards FP

Attachments:
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.