Howard Rotovator transmission repair

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Rotovator transmission repair

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’m tackling a new venue these days. I have a 1940s “The Gem” that has broken something in the transmission. My first queery is…. what is necessary to remove the right hand cover plate to view the damage? I already have the wheel off, and curious how much force should be needed to remove the wheel hub from the splines. Also, is in necessary to lay machine on it’s side to prevent scattered parts when I remove the side cover.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Dan

charlie
    Keymaster

The axle shaft is not splined but does have key in a keyway, it should come off using a hub puller. You can remove gearbox side cover without any parts falling out. Other members with more detailed knowledge will be able to give more information.

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie, thanks for the response. The wheel drive flange has what look like 8 approx 1/4″ splines in it that match to the same on the “shaft”. I see a much smaller dia piece inside of that too, but since the wheels turn independent of each other when in neutral, I thought perhaps they are driven individually as well. This brings me to my next question……what is the fastener type on these machines? Metric? Wentworth? or another? The wheel studs seem to measure just under 13mm and I believe 2.00 pitch. I need to determine this to get longer studs to use with a T-bar puller.
    Cheers!
    Dan

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Dan
    I used to have a Hatz Diesel Gem. Never did any major work to it, but there’s a manual here you may find useful if you haven’t already got it. Good luck!
    Peter

https://www.allotment-garden.org/rotavator-manuals/Howard-Gem-Service-Repair-Manual.pdf

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie I owe you an apology. Finally got a few minutes to look closer at “the Machine”. What look like splines or keyways are merely rather evenly spaced flashing flaws from the casting process, Im guessing. Sorry about the confusion, but I am new to this type of old design and structure.
    thanks again for your interest.
    Dan

vhgmcbuddy

Wow, thanks loads, Peter! Just getting started and only done some preliminary research for help books. This is great.

roatavator
    Participant

You’re welcome Dan.
    Always good to find manuals on the net for free!
    Peter

vhgmcbuddy

So…. Ive removed the side cover, and what did I find? Four balls missing out of the bearing at the starter crank end of the jacksahft. And some deep impressions in the bull gear idler gear. Ouch! These are some tough gears. Next step will be to remove the axle shaft assembly and see what’s behind it, lying on the bottom of the case.
    Anyone know where best to go for gaskets and parts as needed?

vhgmcbuddy

Hi,if it’s any help I have 2 gems for spares,let me know what you need

ted20
    Participant

what part of the country are you located? I have a spare gearbox if you are stuck

vhgmcbuddy

Simon and Ted, thanks for the replies. Yes I will need some trans parts. I have emailed a chap in UK and waiting for his response to my actual parts search. I used his online parts catalog so I have the original part #s from that. I’m in the US, on the West coast so anyone stateside would be great.
    Dan

vhgmcbuddy

Simon,
    It looks like Ill have to out-source the combo nut/pilot bearing for the rear flywheel on this Wisconsin. Any ideas?
    Dan

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.