Howard Gem Sachs Diesel.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Howard Gem Sachs Diesel.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    stuart
    Participant

Cant beat the sound of a 2 stroke diesel :).

vhgmcbuddy

My all time favourite two stroke is a field Marshall tractor at tick over. I could listen to it all day long. When I was 14 I spent a couple of days working my fathers one in the field. Got a face covered in oil spots! Great times!

andyfrost
    Participant

I have great memories of my Fathers Marshall driving his Rackbench , and another lovely sounding engine was the Petter atomic he had on a conventional sawbench.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

Got a face covered in oil spots! Great times!

Commonly known as Marshall Measles !

vhgmcbuddy

At long last I’ve finally started making some proper progress. The main chasis was wire brushed down and then after what seemed like an enterinity the pipes and cables were masked up. The engine was etched primed then the whole thing was primed and sprayed in my favourite top coat colour. Overall I’m happy with the way everything has come out bar the bonnet which will need flat ting back and another top coat applied.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looking very smart.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie, it’s getting there. You almost forget how time consuming a gem is to do. Still got another one to finish after this before Newbury.

vhgmcbuddy

Have now started fitting the gem back up. The first job was the wheels. Had a bit of trouble with the near side one as usual- such a pity you can no longer get the original Dunlop tyres, the used to fit a treat. In the end I’ve resorted to using another wheel disc to act as a spacer to get the necessary clearance(just) on the bellhousing but this in turn will mean that the springs need shortening. I have also refitted the radiator. After having a proper look at the bonnet now it has dried I’m hopping to get away with flattening it back with some 2500 wet and dry.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Unavailability of correct tyre size is a problem on a number of machines, eg Monro Tiller, Barford Mechanical Gardener, Gunsmith etc.

vhgmcbuddy

The size is in theory the same, it’s just originally the gem would of had Dunlop diamond pattern tyres. These tractor type patterns are just a lot chunkier on the cleats and often cause clearance issues on the near side. If you look at the bellhousing on this one you can see in the one place where the metal has slightly worn away due to rubage. Most Sachs diesels that I see have the inside edge of the cleats removed to overcome this problem.

vhgmcbuddy

Been meaning to update this project for a few weeks. The build up has slowly continued. After flattening back the bonnet I decided the only thing to do was to resprayed it again. New old stock badges have been fitted all round as well.
    Originally I was going to fit a salvaged set of rotor covers off a Dowdeswell, however without going into boring rivet counting details, they aren’t quite right. So I have swapped some engine parts for a good second hand set of period correct ones. These will need a bit of straightening and I’ve already welded the rear trailing board back into place.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Here’s a couple more photos that for some reason didn’t up load first time?

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Looking very nice , does it start and run well.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

It ran when I acquired it, however it was a pig to start. Since then I’ve had the injector rebuilt,so should now start well. As soon as the back end is on to balance out the machine(it’s very front end heavy and has a habit of tipping up) I will bleed the fuel system out and try again.

vhgmcbuddy

Have had a lot of issues going on recently so haven’t touched this in nearly two months. Here’s where I am up to at the moment. It’s nearly finished, just the rotor shaft, chain cover and depth foot to do, along with probably loads of little finishing off jobs.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.