Howard Gem Sachs Diesel.

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Howard Gem Sachs Diesel.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Here’s my latest project. A 1961 Sachs diesel engined howard. I was offered it free of charge by a total stranger through my website. What’s more it’s a runner!
    I sent my carrier in for it unseen, however when it got back to my yard I was pleasantly surprised just how good it was.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I started off removing the bonnet, air filter and exhaust etc. The bonnet is one of the straightest I’ve ever seen with just a bit of panel beating and a small crack welding required.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

The fuel tank has been very well preserved, probably as a result of spiller diesel and oil over the years.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

The radiator is in good original condition, after straightening out a few fins and a new cap followed with a coat of paint. Here it is.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

The gem run, however it is a bit of a pig to start. The general consensus is that the injector wants overhauling. Following advice on here I have removed it and am going to send it to diesel Bob.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Last night I started removing the rear rotor covers. Once off they were actually worse than I thought. With this project I’m trying to stick to a strict budget so I’ve dug out a good second hand set and have started the laborious task of stripping the old paint off.

Attachments:
    sidevalve44
    Participant

What a good find ! Not bad condition, especially as it was Free !

vhgmcbuddy

That’s what I thought. The previous owner was a land scape gardener. This was the first machine that he had a go with when he was about 10. Unfortunately health and safety meant he no longer felt he could give it to his employees to use, but didn’t want to see it scrapped. I said I could give it a good home. So here it is. I’d been after another Sachs diesel gem since I sold mine when keri told me she was expecting, but every example that had turned up was too expensive. Looking through the ports the bore and piston is still like new. I would say that it has been very well looked after over the years.

vhgmcbuddy

The strip down continues. Nothing major to report. The only things wrong ive found is the chain case was devoid of oil, instead full of soil. The gear selector bush is worn, one wheel hub is loose and the rotor shaft dog is seized.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Progress has been slowly getting on. The bonnet has had the crack welded up and ive reshaped the front as well as I could, now the longwinded task of filling it.
    The injector has come back from being refurbished, not bad at £65 with the carriage.
    All the paint has been stripped off the gearbox and handles, just got to wait for it to warm up outside so I can wire brush it.
    Also ive now had the factory records back on this one, it was apparently built on 10/03/1962 and dispatched to W.Wood Ltd in Horsham on 16/03/1962. The records also confirm that the engine is the original one.

Attachments:
    sidevalve44
    Participant

Coming on nicely. How I envy you your workshop ! We have no rear access and only a small shed so, I have to content myself with things small enough to carry through the house !

vhgmcbuddy

It does have its disadvantages though, firstly it’s a 30 mile round trip from where I live, and secondly it’s size means a 47kg of propane only lasts about 3 weeks in our space heater this time of year.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Gareth picked up a sachs diesel (engine only) a few months back so looking forward to following this one. The previous owner gave up on trying to start it and replaced it with a kohler . Yours looks to be in good shape .

andyfrost
    Participant

The Sachs diesel was by some distance the best engine ever fitted to the Gem , to replace one with one of those Kohler petrol efforts should be a criminal offence.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Personally my all time favourite engine fitted to a gem is the Hatz diesel. I’ve used both a kohler and a Hatz for many hours when I was younger and can say without a doubt that the Hatz really suited the job in hand. I love the quirkyness of the Sachs and when running it sounds really good, but can understand with my athritus in my hips why some older people may find them hard to start.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.