Howard Gem Jap Magneto

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Gem Jap Magneto

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I picked up a freebie Howard gem with the jap engine last Sunday, but its missing the chain driven magneto… a wico A. I have a few wico A mags…is it possible to modify a normal wico A with say the correct sprocket to fit the Howard jap engine? or is this magneto unique to the Howard jap engine ?

charlie
    Keymaster

Looking at the Wico magneto information i have it looks as if the JAP engine should have a 1057BZ, the BJ engine is fitted with a 966BZ. The Gem series IV had an 1137BZ. A CJ1385 was fitted to Clifford and Landmaster fitted with JAP 600cc engine. What the output characteristics of these is i don’t know.

trusty220
    Keymaster

The difference between the JAP 600 and the BJ magneto may only be the difference between a single cylinder engine (JAP 600) and the two cylinder British Junior. The mags will be the same but the points cover will be replaced on the BJ magneto by a distributor cap with a rotor arm inside.

The other thing to check is the direction of rotation- so long as that is the same you could most likely get a standard Wico A to work.

charlie
    Keymaster

The BJ was a single also.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the replies …It would be great if anyone could supply a photo of this chain driven magneto as info is scare on the web

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I think an A series Wico magneto from a Ransomes MG2 will have similar mounts and sprocket chain drive.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.