Howard Gem ebgine swap?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Gem ebgine swap?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Ive been reading up on the old Howard Gems and the only engines listed to have been used were Kohler, Japp, and a diesel. However, I discovered that the one I’m working on to repair the trans has a Wisconsin on it. Engine is painted grey over an orange that matches the rest of the tiller. Did they slip a few of these into the lineup, or has someone done a one-off swap sometime back in the day?

Attachments:
    ted20
    Participant

as far as I know the engines fitted to Howard Gems were BJ (BRITISH JUNIOR), HOWARD TWIN CYLINDER(810 cc), JAP, KOHLER, SACH DIESEL there may be others but I have never heard of a WISCONSIN being fitted, I may be wrong if it is an original engine you must have a very rare machine.

charlie
    Keymaster

Or possibly if machine was exported a locally sourced engine was fitted. I know machines imported to the UK eg Graveley had British magnetos fitted.

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie, my thinking as well. It was bought here in the US as a new machine, so perhaps that is the case.
    Anyone know where to look for the SN of the tiller chassis? It seems, by the description of the different phases, that it is a later series V model, and should have the Howard twin or Kohler 301 engine.

charlie
    Keymaster

The serial number is located on top of frame that runs back from under fuel tank see Gem dating guide for more information.

andyfrost
    Participant

Just another twist , there was an identical machine passed through the well known auction site very recently.

Andy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.