Howard gem 800

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Howard gem 800

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Its very slowly getting there. Going to be a long haul to get finished as is probably the worst machine ive ever attempted to save.

vhgmcbuddy

One of the things that has allways caused me delays and cost with previous projects is not being able to weld. Recently I have been attending college on a Monday night to learn how.
    I have allready started on rebuilding the rear rotor shields as they are yet another part that is unique to the 800.
    The rear rotor shaft on this machine is actually quite bent. Initially I was simply going to fit one off a 24″gem that I had broken, however the end is quite different so will have to have a go at straightening what I’ve got on my 60 tonne press. Luckily the blades and the friction clutch are the same as a standard gem.

vhgmcbuddy

hi gareth . do you remember some while ago when I was restoring the auto culto,i mentioned about the young farmers free welding classes. you may not have gone to them .but you have started some so that’s good. you will be restoring ships soon !!!!!!! [thumbs up ]

vhgmcbuddy

Hi John I do remember you saying something about it, however doubt I am young enough to be classed as a young farmer now! Anyway it doesn’t matter as my work is sponsoring me to do it, only problem is it means I have to do a full days work, then travel to college and do another couple of hours welding, by the time I get home it’s a 14 hour day!

charlie
    Keymaster

I think another club member has part of an 800, located in Wales.

vhgmcbuddy

Have just been rummaging through the unit next doors scrap bin(with permission) and have found a few off cuts of steel plte that will be ideal for the rear flap, hopefully I can replicate the original.

vhgmcbuddy

Have now cut the top with the hinge off and have prepped ready for welding including sourcing a new piano hinge off ebay.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I have also now refound out these original photos from the howard archives back in the 1960’s.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

I can see similarities with the 700 lookingat the photos

vhgmcbuddy

They are similar to look at, but unfourtantley almost nothing interchanges. The handlebars do fit but even they will need modifying to look the part. The fuel tank is the same as some four stroke 700’s though, but that’s about it.

andyfrost
    Participant

I must admit I’ve never seen a fourstroke 700 , what were the engine options.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Sorry, typing error, I meant to write one two strokes, but I suppose thinking about all 700’s that I’ve seen had two strokes as a factory option. A lot of the 700’s tanks that I’ve come across have cut outs on the front edge. This one is flat. When stripping the paint there was a small line of pin prick holes, I didn’t fancy welding it for obvious reasons so am experimenting with an ethanol proof chemical sealer.

vhgmcbuddy

good luck with the chemical repair would be interested as we all are if this is going to get you out of a lot of searching.

vhgmcbuddy

It’s taking a long time to harden, probably down to the cold weather. Failing that I do know one crazy guy in Birmingham who welds petrol tanks for a living, not my choice of jobs!

wristpin
    Participant

Regularly used to de-gas and braze tanks such as the old Atco cylindrical ones where the end fixing brackets used to crack around their spot welds and the kidney shaped Suffolk ones – again, cracks around the spot welded fixing brackets due to vibration and people using the tank as a handy lifting point!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.