Howard 700

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    roatavator
    Participant

In an idle moment this afternoon (nice to be down to a four day week!) I read on a posting on the old forum only 2400 odd of these machines were made over a very short sales period. They are a really good machine. Anyone out there know why they had such a short run? Presumably only a very few Hirth diesel options were sold as they must have been more expensive. Explaining their rarity today. I live in hope of finding a Hirth one day, but seems like I might stand a better chance finding a SIMAR M!

hortiman
    Participant

Peter.
    You just missed my Hirth engined 700 with plough etc, It went to a guy in Reading who intends to use it. They were not a good engine for reliability, starting being a problem unless they were in tip top condition, compression wise. Mine did quite a lot of work for me, and performed at GDSF and other shows, I think it is on the Brian Bell video too.

andyfrost
    Participant

Peter , they’re a bit like Marmite , you either love them or hate them , and I’m a great lover of them.
    Personally I prefer the petrol version , delivers more power than the diesel model ,albeit on the thirsty side, and if timed and tuned correctly are a VERY easy starter. A far more versatile machine than the Gem , infact better in every way IMO.
    When I worked on Howards , I was reliably informed that production costs priced them out of the market , much the same as the 800.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks gents both. I should have had my idle moment sooner! Still you never know, one day. It’s only a daft reason but the Hirth was the first machine I used as a kid. Never an easy starter, especially after I tipped it over and it ran flat out on the oil! After that I was the only one who could start it so if I was going to school I had to start it before I went and father left it running all day!
    Daft reason, but then why do any of us do what we do with the old stuff?

irc
    Participant

Roatavator,

I have both the hirth D24 700 rotovator and villiers 700 units being refurbished at this time, also have complete plough unit, my starting handle for D24 is home made and I am looking for original one of anybody can help?
    Ian.

roatavator
    Participant

Excellent! How do you find the Hirth in its comparative old age! I have very fond memories of the one I used.
    Peter

irc
    Participant

Peter,
    Bloody awful,So bad I went and bought another petrol one. Diesel one Broke the heart of a Marine Engineer trying to get it started, I have been told it is drawing air and need to replace existing copper Gaskets all round or get originals ones annealed to restore seals.

Seem to spend all my time looking for Hirth D24 Engine parts suppliers.I thought of fitting manual wind up starter to it as at 70 my spirit is willing but the flesh is weak? but they cost a fortune.So I’m looking at fitting a Home made electric / Manual start for the Hand start (Electric drill & Long reach Socket with spur on end to catch starter on machine.

The petrol one is going but in poor condition.I also used 700 Rotavator fitted with Pick Tines in my youth doing new house gardens, It had a Bull dozer Blade and Wheel Conversion unit along with a road trailer which I travelled (Approx 12 – 15 MPH) from building site to site in west of Scotland, but that is another story. Not getting any work done on either machine just now due to weather conditions. Also have a small 3 wheeled power barrow undergoing restoration.

I know of a Howard Bantam fitted with Lawn mower complete with Rotavator as on web site front page, it appears in good condition and used to be shown a local Shows in East of Scotland. Ideal for some TLC and then showing & demonstrating as working unit. If anybody is interested I will put them in touch with Seller.

best regards,Ian.

roatavator
    Participant

Ian
    Sorry to hear your tale of woe! I know the 2-stroke is the better machine but I can’t help myself!
    I’m glad you said about the high speed adventures, I was sure I remembered you could change the gears to allow high speed trailering. Sometimes the old memory doesn’t let me down!
    Keep us posted if you have better luck!
    Peter

roatavator
    Participant

Just when you think you’ve missed the boat, you hear of the very machine you want being available locally. Suffice to say now safely tucked up at home, with one very happy owner!

Attachments:
    roatavator
    Participant

A short video from today.
    Anyone got a spare black cover for the top of the handlebars pivot? Don’t think much of the current solution!

andyfrost
    Participant

Very nice Peter , I was tempted to have a bid myself , glad it’s gone to a good home.

Andy.

roatavator
    Participant

Thanks Andy
    Being local it was too much to resist! It’s currently sitting on the Commer as I’ve no space for it. IF, and it’s a big if, the weather dries up a bit I’ll probably have it out at Stanfield next week. I imagine it’s pretty claggy underfoot at the moment.
    Peter

irc
    Participant

Peter,

Could you send me photo and dimensions of Hirth starting handle, I’m trying to locate original one as mine is made up of bits and pieces.

I have a UK supplier who might be able to supply from original photo.

regards,
    ian.

roatavator
    Participant

Hello Ian
    I’ve taken lots of photos and measurements. PM me your email address and I’ll send them through, it will save me having to shrink the photos!
    Peter

irc
    Participant

Peter,

Iancameron.inverurie@sky.com

Best regards
    Ian.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.