howard 350

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    moggyjim
    Participant

i now have a plough for the 350 but no instruction’s so need a little advice Do i leave the rotavator on or just the tynes remove it all wheel extensions ???

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi moggyjim

You will need to take off the Rotors and there should be a little piece of treadded bar with two metal caps on tha fits oner th splines on the rotor drive one the rotors are gone This is important to stop the dirt getting inside the chaincase and it also preserves the seals Simple enough to make if you don’t have one . There should be a plough hitch that fits onto the Chain case and this is what the Plough bolts to . There should also be a t least one wheel extension which you fit to the right hand wheel viewed from the back of the machine , and there should be a piece of box section that fits on the front of the machine and a very heavy counter weight to fit on to the box section. You also need the coupling that fits the plough to the hitch as this allows you to adjust the plough

Don’t be too eager , this will not turn over virgin ground like a Trusty !!! It works OK on garden or allotment but if you plan to use it to turn a grass area , lawn what have you into ploughed soil buy a bigger machine . I have the front weight and wheel weights on mine and it still struggles for grip Select the lowest gear too, Small engine pulley to largest machine pulley . And eat a whole box of Weetabix before you start !!

Martin

moggyjim
    Participant

thank’s for the lesson i have the front weight on a stepped bar and the wheel weights, I thought it would be of use at the allotment in the spring or turning over for the winter.The 350 is such a well made machine, i also have the tiller extension kit which makes it a little wider i think it’s about 24 inches. Is this only used in light soil or is the machine man enough to use it on my clay soil..

vhgmcbuddy

I would say the plough is fine to use on your allotment . The tiller extensions should be OK too , of course, it depends on the condition of the engine . The 350 is a Howard and they are well made compared to a lot of machines . I have been looking for some Spade lug type wheels for mine, as this would help with ploughing . You will need to try it out , and adjust the plough to suit your soil. Your planned use is absolutely what the machine was designed for Watch out for buried treasure if you have recently taken on the allotment. If the plough hits something buried the machine will kick and that hurts. My Howard has only tried to kill me twice so far so be warned !!

Have fun and stay safe .

ted20
    Participant

back in the 70s I used to plough a 5 acre field (not all at once) with a Howard 350 on the family market garden in Staffordshire before I saw sense and bought a grey Fergie still got both with rest of my Howard and Allen Scythe collection

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.