How Cool Is This

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just been trawling the net in garden machinery sector and came across this. very forward for its time I hope you think like wise. not sure if it was marketed by ransomes sims and Jefferies. Has any one got one in there collections ? and whats the history behind this ground breaking accessory.

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Several manufacturers made them to convert existing push mowers to powered ones.

vhgmcbuddy

That was quick and thanks Angus, the gardeners of old would possibly be either proud as punch to have one,or scared to death !!!! looks as if a Villiers engine is the power house of this wonder.

trusty220
    Keymaster

That looks like Tony and Pam Skingley’s mower pusher- I may be wrong about this picture, but they certainly took their mower and pusher around the shows for quite a few years. Very rare and unusual, and even better to see it in action.

vhgmcbuddy

That must have been the gadget to have back then, I would like to test drive that. Make a nice barn find.

vhgmcbuddy

Thats an MP mower pusher with Ransomes Automaton mower

The guy on it is Andrew Mac Morland from Essex whos an OLC member

Tony & Pams pusher is a Rendle which is rarer than the MP

I did have an earlier unit than this but part ex it a few years back for some parts to finish off a large ransomes ride on I was restoring.

hillsider
    Participant

http://www.oldlawnmowerclub.co.uk/moms/mom26-mp.htm

Well you found the photograph the link above takes you to the text to go with it.
    I think the OLC site also has a video of one at work.

wristpin
    Participant

No one has mentioned a date but I’m guessing that the development of these pushers may have been instigated by a shortage of labour as a result of The First World War. Estates and gardens that may have had plenty of cheap labour before the war may have had to mechanise to keep gardens and grounds maintained in the post war years.

vhgmcbuddy

Amazing the amount of knowledge on this forum thanks to all who have contibuted will certainly look out for any on future show fields

wristpin
    Participant

Found an illustration of an “early 1920s” Edgecumbe and Rendle pusher with no seat. The mower is fitted with extended handlebars so that the operator could walk (run?) behind the whole assembly.

(page 25 of Old Lawnmowers by David G. Halford. Shire Publications ltd.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.