Help with tine shaft oil seal – Clifford Mk1

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Help with tine shaft oil seal – Clifford Mk1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Having got my mk1 clifford up and running i now notice that oil is leaking from one side of the tine shaft. Having taken the tines off there appeared to be a poorly seated bush or spacer and a felt washer surrouning that. Is this the oil seal and where would one look for a replacement? Any help gratefully received.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

OK, after further investigation I can see that the two items in the picture above are the felt washer and outer space.
    In order to access the actual oil seal I have to take off the end cap which is held on by 3 screw in bolts (In the picture they look like rivets as the screw heads are full of dirt and somewhat burred over.
    Before I go to the trouble of attempting to remove the end cap (and potentially failing and/or ruin it) is there any mileage in trying a solution which when added to the tiller oil is supposed to stop oil seal leaks. Has any one ever tried this with any success, or is it not recommended?

I am looking at this option because no one seems to know the size of the oil seal, which I suppose means I might not be able to source one. (Has anyone here ever changed the tiller shaft oil seal on a clifford mk1?)

charlie
    Keymaster

I am not aware of any additive that would stop the leak.
    The bolts/screws should come out with care. The trick is take your time, use of heat may well help if they are tight. Worst case scenario is the heads break off. If this happens all is not lost as it may be possible to weld a nut on the remains (the heat of doing this often helps free the bolt). Last resort is drilling them out. All part of the fun and challenges of our hobby.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.