Help wanted with Briggs Engine

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Help wanted with Briggs Engine

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have a briggs engine fitted to a genny and wandered if someone can tell me anything about it.
    the model No 207027 and serial No 70109. i think its pre 50s but any info would help

wristpin
    Participant

Not sure about that serial number. Briggs Id is normally by model, type and code. Those words are usually stamped into the blower housing (cowling) and below each word there is a series of numbers. Your model number 207027 is good for a 20 cu inch engine with a horizontal crank,diaphragm carb and pneumatic governor,sleeve bearing,flange mounting and splash lube and 12v electric starter. The type number (missing)gives further mechanical and trim/spec details. Finally the code dates the engine to the day of production and shift or production line but your number may have a missing digit or may not be a code number at all! For argument let’s say it is 701009**. That would be 1970 , October the 9th with no line details.

vhgmcbuddy

What wrist pin says is accurate for the majority of Briggs engines however there are some about with different numbering systems-pre early 1950’s also the 1962/3 141 range as fitted to howard 300’s. if you google vintage Briggs and straton eventually you will turn up a fan made page (haven’t looked for a couple of years) that will explain the earlier system.

will-haggle
    Participant

Try the Antique Small Engine Collectors Club, I’ve been using their site for years and they’ve got some good Briggas Information on there…

http://www.rucenterprises.com/asecc-main/data/briggs/

wristpin
    Participant

I’ll stand to be corrected but with that model number it should fit the Model/Type/Code criteria; does it have those words any where?

These links may be of use
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qldis7mbh78cfwg/Briggs%20model%20id%20old%20and%20new0001.pdf

http://edgeta.com/techdata.htm

vhgmcbuddy

thanks guys for your responce.
    next time iam up the shed i’ll take some photos of it.
    it has a small brass plate riveted and i’am sure it only had the 2 numbers ,but will have another look, thanks again

wristpin
    Participant

Normally stamped into the blower housing (BS for engine cowling) either horizontally adjacent to the spark plug or vertically on the back partly obscured by the carb. Not usually on riveted plate until much later intro of the Vanguard series of engine and they were a silver on black ally affair.

vhgmcbuddy

What the showman describe would be the correct type tag for a Brigg made before the war. Possibly its off some military item. All my Briggs from the 30’s and 40’s used a brass tag held on by a rivet top and bottom. Its usually found on the front face of the blower housing. These tags either say the engine size ie A B Z K ZZ or have some number on them that was used by the original maker. The other number is usually the serial number of that engine. Without a picture it could be narrowed down by its head, which in the older models had enclosed cooling fins, and the later ones open cooling fins.

wristpin
    Participant

My original suggestion was based on the Showman’s original estimate of 1950s but I guess that we will have to wait until he revisits the depths of his shed!

wristpin
    Participant

Posted your query on the new US PPETEN forum (formally the PER forum) and this was the reply

MODEL I — (1938-1949, 3/4 – 1 HP, 2.00″ Bore, 1.50″ Stroke, L-Head)

Small industrial quality L-head engine based on WM series cylinder block. These engines have a deep oil sump with an oil pump and a float feed carburetor. Most were direct mounting, ball bearing engines. Many varieties of this model are found. This engine is commonly found on WWII motor generator sets.

Another link!
    http://asecc.com/data/briggs/engnotes.html

vhgmcbuddy

The model I formed the basis for the later Suffolk Iron Foundry mower engines, I have a 1942 one in my shed. Good solid little engines, as were most of the pre 1950’s models. I also have a model B and just handed over an A type to a new owner at Newark, missing it already!

Pete.

vhgmcbuddy

finally got the photos

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

That definitely solves the the issue as everything matches the info’ from the States. Also, easy to see the Suffolk connection – the sump in particular. I wonder what the deal was; did Suffolk buy the rights when BS moved on to a later design or were they paying royalties on a per engine basis. Pity that they didn’t update with a later Briggs rather than that horrible Tecumseh inspired 98cc alloy blocked lump.

will-haggle
    Participant

I’ve got one, no blower housing, but I think it’s a Model N. The generator is called a BD6 (Blue Diamond)….

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

This is an information card I wrote at the time…

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.