Help please, trying to identify an early MG2

Home Forums General Help and information Help please, trying to identify an early MG2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Evening all,
    Only just signed up so excuse me if i dont do this right.
    Long story short, i have inherited a fairly early Ransomes MG2 from my grandfather, amongst other things. I have been busy with projects so this one has been in the shed about 3 years, but it has now the turn of the old mg2.
    Grandad always said it was a 1937 which i can confirm according to the dates on the crown wheels, however, in the course of time it has lost its identity plates. Does anyone know if there is any other way of proving an identity of a machine as it was originally road registered and i would very much like to get this back. Of course the log book has long since gone by the way side so i am pretty stuck at the minute.
    I think the original registration was KRL 718, i have also inherited a plough and cultivator which i would like to post pictures of when i can.
    Many thanks

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    Unfortunately the only true id was on the plates and there is no other serial number available on the machine. It may be possible to see a faint indent in the chassis where the plate fits as the serial number was stamped on the plate after it was fitted to the tractor.
    If you have the registration number you may be able to retrieve the id from the DVLA and then attach new plates with correct number stamped.
    If you need parts contact me njarrett@btinternet.com
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Neil,
    Many thanks for the reply. Am i right in believing there was two plates rivoted to the rear of the machine. Which plate carried the serial number? I can clearly see four small rivot holes to the top right (when viewed from behind) any idea where the other plate was as its not obvious just yet. Will try and get the wire wheel across it. I have read other posts about numbers on gear box covers, anybody have any success with this? I have looked into retrieving the registration document but dvla wont release it until i can give them a vin/chassis/serial number

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    There may be some variation depending on year but I believe it will be the right plate (looking at rear of machine) The number would be stamped in the lower left corner.
    The second plate mounted lower on the left side carries the patent info for the roadless track.
    I have never seen the serial number on the gearbox cover.
    Be careful using a powered wire brush, try rubbing chalk or crayon in the area and sometimes a digital photo reviewed with various contrasts etc. can show otherwise invisible results.
    Good Luck.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks for all your input Neil, am with the machine now but no luck just yet, any ideas where the engine number should be as I may as well try and find that while I am here.
    Many thanks
    Dave

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    Engine number stamped into the crankcase on the left side. (left as sitting in machine)
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Only number I can find so far is “55X” stamped just under the magneto points cover into the top of the crankcase. I have had a look in the survivor link and other engine numbers appear longer. Would you be able to tell me where abouts on the left hand side please?

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    Sorry I do not have an MG2 available to look at or photograph. Hopefully an owner will join in and be able to supply some more specific info.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Is 1937 actually 1947?
    After a disappointing evening in the shed scraping paint off, only thing i have achieved is putting doubt in my mind, i thought the crown wheels said 37, but in the attatched picture, there is a 1/47 is this a date of manufacture? Also have found some remains of a serial number, possibly four digits, so in my mind this should be 1947 not 1937 as relayed to me from my grandparents.
    Anybodys thoughts invited on this.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Just a guess but the way those numbers are set out is it possible that 1 – 47 is the gear reduction ratio between the input and output shafts.

ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    1-47 is the month and year of manufacture of the crown wheel.
    The gear ratio is 9/34 (9 on pinion and 34 teeth on crown wheel)
    The load rollers on a 1937 machine would be galleried (radial slots) but on a 1947 more likely just 3 round holes. Idler wheels also changed from galleried to pressed rims.
    If in doubt post a photo.
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Neil,
    Fair play you are very knowledgable, to which i thank you very much.
    Will take some more pictures tomorrow evening and post for your experienced eye.

vhgmcbuddy

Back down the yard again tonight. Dragged it out into the late evening sun, as promised a picture of the sprockets and rollers.
    As Neil has suggested, they look like later type running gear to me, but open to all opinions.

Attachments:
    ransomes256
    Participant

Dave,
    From this running gear I feel the machine is more probably 1947
    Neil

vhgmcbuddy

Slow progress on frame number, what do you see here, apart from a bad picture?

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.