Help needed, Mountfield M1

Home Forums General Help and information Help needed, Mountfield M1

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the attachment Charlie is the LAV 30 35 40 the same as mine a LAV 32 72 368 ?
    My next step was to remove the flywheel but its very hard to get off and I don’t want to break it any tips / I did think heat but not sure.
    Clive did your uncles blow up or something ? I do have a Briggs spare but would like to try and keep it original.

dorigny
    Participant

He had heavy clay soil and was using it in his market gardening so it would have been worked hard.
    If i recall Aspera flywheels have 3 holes that can be tapped out to mount a plate and bolt type puller so that the pull is close to the centre boss of the flywheel. Never use a leg type puller as the flywheel is very thin alloy away from the central boss and will crack. There was also a knock off device that screwed on in lieu of the nut but careful too the threaded portion is easily bent/broken.

C.

charlie
    Keymaster

John, I don’t know if 35 and 32 are the same that is all the literature I have on Aspera. In an earlier post you say yours is a LAV 35.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie, I think I’ve overloaded my brain with this.
    Going to have a break from the engine and paint the chassis instead not much head work in that.
    Next big job for me is to get the flywheel off. I am looking for a puller or a knocker as I have read this is the way to go.
    Cheers
    John.
    P.S It is the LAV 35.

wristpin
    Participant

My Uncle had an M1 identical to this one. His was fitted with Aspera at new, which was an early casualty, he then replaced it with a Briggs 3.5Hp.

A word of warning. The correct spec Briggs for such an application has a “heavy flywheel” . If a rotary mower spec engine is used it will have a light flywheel and in the absence of the flywheel effect of a blade will tend to “snarch your wrist off” when starting !

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the warning .

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.