HELP , Ive just purchassed a Howard 700

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines HELP , Ive just purchassed a Howard 700

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Ive just purchassed a howard 700 and ive wanted one of these machines for quite a while. The problem is it needs some tlc and i have no clue where to buy spare parts etc.
    Also i have no clue on the engine details , i cant find anything anywhere on the machine with any info either. So any help would be appreciated and i forgot to mention it is a petrol opperated machine.

vhgmcbuddy

Here are a few pics

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Congratulations , the 700 is a superb piece of kit, and yours appears to be a fairly straight example. The Engine is a Villiers Mk28b , 353cc twostroke. Unfortunately engine “internals” are EXTREMELY hard to source ,I’ve managed to accumulate a few over the years should I need any for my machine, most of the carb bits are just as rare , ignition wise , no problems.

Looking at yours it appears to have been tampered with to some degree , the cylinder head has been put on the wrong way round.
    Let us know of your progress and what parts you think you may need.

Andy

charlie
    Keymaster

That looks like the Villiers engine, a 28B 7hp two stroke according to 70 Years of Garden Machinery by Brian Bell. Meetens, amongst others, should be able to supply parts for the engine. I have always thought the 700 was the best machine made by Howard, very versatile. Good luck.

vhgmcbuddy

Thankyou for the reply , im not mechanicly minded but im not scared to have a go at it myself either. Is the cylinder head being put on the wrong way going have caused any damage at all ? i think what im going to do is strip it down and clean it all as much as i can and take plenty of pictures as i do.Ill also have to try and get some manuals so i can see what im looking at and what parts are called etc.Many thanks for youre help again.

andyfrost
    Participant

Regarding the head being on wrong , I wouldn’t have thought it would have done any significant damage , just that it may have run a little hotter. Parts and instruction manuals are always available on that well known auction site , BUT, none that I have seen cover the butterfly carb that is fitted to the 700.

Andy.

hortiman
    Participant

Apart from the mentioned engine problems, the rest of the machine appears to be in excellent original condition, and fitted with the wider rotavator unit, which is not so common. Good luck with it. The 28B engine can be a bit ‘fussy’ if not tuned and timed correctly, the carb is prone air leaks which cause backfiring and spitting back through the carb. An excellent engine when running correctly with bags of power, but a bit thirsty when working hard. I have spent many hours behind one in work, but prefer the Diesel version, which is not a common machine now.
    Chris

vhgmcbuddy

Thankyou for the help everyone i realy appreciate it, im determined to restore this machine to a standard it deserves to be in and i need as much help as i can with anything you guys can give me. Its going to be a challenge but im up for it.

charlie
    Keymaster

barrryg and andy I have a manual with parts list in my collection that includes the B24 carb as fitted to the 700. I can scan and e mail a copy if you want one, just send me a pm with your e mail address.

vhgmcbuddy

Another silly question but who founded the howard company and what happened to them,is there archives and blueprints of all the machines that were ever made ?. I would have thought that someone who was able to make parts if they had drawings and dimmentions would be able to do this.

stuart
    Participant

The company was founded by an Australian guy called Arthur Clifford Howard and was called “Rotary Hoes Ltd”.The company was then brought out many years later in approx 1985 by Dowdeswell Engineering of Warwickshire (Roger Dowdeswell designed and made ploughs and other farm implements).They are no longer in business.We used to buy Howard spare parts from a company called Standens Engineering.I think the guy to speak to regarding spare parts is Keith if he still works there.

vhgmcbuddy

Thankyou stuart for that awsome info , i can research a bit further now. This website is becoming a lifesaver so far , such friendly helpfull people.

stuart
    Participant

Howards are one of my favourite machines.I have a Howard 400 rotavator and also an old Gem.My father still has the Howard 350 rotavator which he bought brand new in 1967.They don’t make em’ like they used too !!

vhgmcbuddy

Removed the cylinder head thismorning and put it back on the right way round . It all looked very clean which i trust is a good thing , i also removed the exhast which i hope can be re welded to join it back together as one air tight unit. That ill have to look into though as i know nothing about welding. I WILL NOW POST SOME PICTURES FOR YOU ALL TO GAZE YOURE EXPERT EYES OVER IF THATS OK.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

More pics

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.