Help identifying rider mower

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Help identifying rider mower

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi,

I wonder if anyone would be able to recognise the rider mower thats in an old episode of the prisoner. Ive tried to find any info but not had any luck.

It seems to be front engined and has 2 front supports holding the seat up. Its obviously had the blade etc removed, and im not sure if the handle bars are correct, but looking at the mounting location cant see how a steering wheel would work. It seems to only be in one episode and for only a few seocnds so i really dont think its had much done to it apart from removing the blade.

Would love any info if possible

Cheers

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Looks like it could be a customised Westwood Lawnbug but what was the date of The Prisoner ?

EDIT. On second thoughts, is it mower based at all. Looks a bit like an early mobility scooter called a Batricar.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The prisoner was filmed in 1966.

The lawn bug does look very similar indeed, i checked out batri cars but they look a little big and the one in the prisoner is definitely petrol powered.

Link to video clip

can be seen at 28m56s and 30m37s

Cheers!

alan
    Participant

It’s an unusual machine but the mower being driven is actually a Bolens Suburban 26.

It’s in the correct white and red colours with proper red seat too! That is a pretty early and rare machine especially for the UK.

In the background of the video there is also a Bolens Lawn keeper.

Imagine going down to the mower dealership asking for the loan of a couple of Bolens machines for an episode of The Prisoner!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thats great, thanks very much. Minutes after posting my last reply i came across an old bolens catalogue, and there it was the suburban.

Guess theres not much chance of finding one in the UK anymore then!

alan
    Participant

It is a rare machine and one may have appeared in the past if I recall.

If I may, I might write about these Bolens being on The Prisoner in the homepage news/articles bit. It may just spur someone on who knows where one is.

Alan

vhgmcbuddy

Sounds like a great idea. Cant do any harm.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.