Gutbrod 1030 restoration project – parts and advice

Home Forums General Help and information Gutbrod 1030 restoration project – parts and advice

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, I have just bought a 1968 Gutbrod 1030 project (hasn’t ran for 25 years). I am keen to locate a few parts to restore the machine to its former glory. Any advice and guidance would be welcome.

1, Dynastart – this is missing from the machine so will need a mounting bracket, pulley, belt and guard etc.

2. Exhaust – this is corroded beyond repair

3. Engine Gasket set (Mag 1030 9HP)

4. No spark – the points look in good condition yet there is no HT spark. Does the black wire from the LT side of the ignition go to earth ?

Many thanks in anticipation…

Paul

wristpin
    Participant

As usual, a couple of images will bring your post to life – picture worth a thousand words etc!
    So, the dynastart looks after battery charging and starting but is the ignition from a self contained flywheel magneto or an externally mounted automotive type coil fed from the battery and fired by either internal or external points?

vhgmcbuddy

HI, thanks for the response.

The engine doesn’t have a separate ignition coil (like a mini) the flywheel has a magnet attached on the inner side and bolted inside is a fixed ignition coil. Does the coil need a 12v feed to energise or is the electricity created by the magnet rotating the fixed coil? There is a black wire from the points that follows the HT lead out of the engine casing, is this an earth?

I will upload a couple of pictures to help.

Thank you

Paul

vhgmcbuddy

Picture of coil

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

The magnets induce a voltage in the coil so no external supply from a battery needed. Circuit diagram for a Villiers flywheel magneto.

wristpin
    Participant

Ok, so the ignition is from a flywheel magneto which does not require an external power source. Your black wire is most likely the “ kill wire” to stop the engine when earthed via a switch. As your machine had electric start the “ ignition” switch would probably performed the kill function when in the Off position. With that set up you must be careful to get the wiring correct . Getting it wrong and feeding battery voltage through the ignition coil will most likely destroy it.

rollomk6
    Participant

Hi Rowlett

Yes the black wire went a a kill switch on the dash panel you dont need a battery to energise it it is a flywheel magneto I am very familiar with the tractor 1030 I have 4 and a 1032 as well any questions etc I can help send me a pm

charlie
    Keymaster

Please note private message facility has been disabled due to misuse by spammers.

merry-tiller
    Participant

Hi there,
    Impressed you got the flywheel off! I was told the dynastart was similar to that used on a grey Fergie but I cannot confirm that. My machine has a coil so can’t help about the mystery black wire but I suspect Charlie is correct if it is a flywheel magneto type of spark generator as it needs an earth kill switch to stop it.
    Exhaust, take a deep breath and try https://www.google.co.uk/shopping/product/1?q=gutbrod+exhaust&safe=strict&client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=1194&bih=728&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:8297311519325425545,paur:ClkAsKraX5iX4ij_U8qe5ICRlGNddx7W-IotiltxYBmtsDLPoC6Fo4w0homtyXBaregKpk9LowEG7kLzMkN6bOURjM-sElYBC4ZzYepZPccFtfgC1Wsebhdm6RIZAFPVH700Sqkk2Pz_e34c2dxK75HVy7gMAg,prmr:1,pid:8297311519325425545,cs:1

No spark may mean a dead coil, try the chap I recommend in my forum posts.
    Best of luck,
    Where are you based btw?
    J

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie, just a quick note to pass on my thanks for your reply and most useful link. After further investigation it appears the exhaust valve is burnt out and probably led to someone constantly cranking the engine and knackering the dynastart. Also it looks like someone has wired the coil wiring to the battery wire on the dynstart and might explain why the coil isn’t working… think I’ve found a company that can repair.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Merry-tiller / J, thanks for your response and link. I live in North East Derbyshire.

Do you know if the exhaust from a 1032 fits a 1030 (£200 ouch).

Cheers

Paul

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.