Fuel leak help

Home Forums General Help and information Fuel leak help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bish
    Participant

I’m trying to resolve a fuel leak on my Cultmate it’s coming from where the fuel pipe from the tank bolts onto the bottom of the carb. I’ve tried pinching it tight but it still floods out has anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

charlie
    Keymaster

What carb is it? Does the banjo on the pipe have a fibre washer on both sides where it bolts to the carb? Have you tried new washers?

bish
    Participant

It’s an Amal 124 I’ve changed the fibre washers between the bolts holding the bowl onto the carb body but it’s leaking from where the pipe bolts underneath the float bowl.

bish
    Participant

This is a picture of a spare carb I bought it’s where the pipe bolts underneath is where it’s leaking from.

Attachments:
    ted20
    Participant

two possibilities one thread on union or carb stripped two fibre washer between pipe and float chamber Dave

ted20
    Participant

another thought is petrol running down pipe or above connection if flowing between pipe and union cut off end of pipe and use brake pipe flaring tool to put new collar on pipe Dave

charlie
    Keymaster

It sounds as if the olive on the end of the pipe is worn or damaged, or the fitting in bottom of float bowl is damaged. Nut on pipe should pull olive on end of pipe up tight into the fitting on float bowl.

charlie
    Keymaster

Another possibilty is joint between pipe and olive is cracked.

bish
    Participant

Right solved the one problem and caused another. There was a split in the pipe so swapped that for a new pipe which fixed that leak however I now have fuel flooding out of the top of the carburettor float chamber. It’s pouring out of the tickler hole and there’s two small holes on the side of the chamber cap which look like they are supposed to be there but fuel is squirting out these holes at quite a pace? Could the position of the float have anything to do with this problem?

charlie
    Keymaster

It could be float height or valve not closing on seat properly.

bish
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Charlie would you know what sort of height the float should be?

charlie
    Keymaster

I don’t have any information on the Amal 124 carb unfortunately. Valve on float should close before float chamber floods.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.