Farmers Boy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, just become the proud owner of the attached and am looking for some help with identification of what I hope is a farmers Boy possibly Minorette. Should there be an identification plate somewhere ? The engine is a villiers mk10 according to the plate if I am reading it correctly. Also any idea where I can locate a manual ? Clearly it’s going to need quite a bit of some work.
    Thanks in advance for any help you can supply.
    Regards
    Shaun

Ps pictures to follow

Attachments:
    terrano
    Participant

Here’s a leaflet copy of your model.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the leaflet. It shows engine options of b&s or Villiers mk12 but mine has a mk 10, could have been replaced I suppose.
    Regards
    Shaun

charlie
    Keymaster

May be the Villiers Mk10 was an earlier version?

vhgmcbuddy

I was wondering the same thing.
    Is it possible to date the machine ?
    Is a list of models available ?
    Does anyone have information on the history of the Raven Engineering Co ?

Regards
    Shaun

terrano
    Participant

There’s a full history of the Farmers Boy machines in (Seventy years of garden machinery) by Brian Bell.

vhgmcbuddy

I have the book but it doesn’t mention the Villiers mk 10 which is 98cc. Only the 120cc mk 12 introduced in 1959 and discontinued in 1960.
    Regards
    Shaun

darmic1
    Participant

Hi Shaun, There is some information about The Raven Engineering Company on the post about my Farmers Boy Minor……. I have 2 of these machines, one fully restored and one in its working clothes. Both mine are fitted with Villiers MK12HS engines. There should be a production number stamped into the large plate at the base of the handlebars, where they bolt to the machine. Unfortunately there doesn’t appear to be any surviving factory records to date these machines, the company changed hands and name a couple of times before going into liquidation. However there is often a date stamped on the engines flywheel. This will of course only give you the date of the engine, and if its been changed at some point will not really help date your machine.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Darren, thanks for the info, I’ll look through your post. I have seen a minor on ytube presumably yours ? I’ll see if I can find the numbers. I hope to restore mine during the year and will, i’m sure have many questions. Coincidently, there is one on the auction site at the moment complete with a rough cut mower but the handles don’t look original.
    Thanks again for the help.
    Regards
    Shaun

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, I am trying to get hold of a copy of the instruction manual as shown in the photo gallery for the Farmer’s Boy. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one ?
    Regards
    Shaun

alan
    Participant

It’s possible that Paul may know where one is.

I’d send a private message to pmackellow, you can search for him from the Members tab in the menu at the top of the page.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Alan I have been in contact with Paul who kindly supplied other related documents but he doesn’t have the instruction manual.
    I did notice from searching the Web that a member on the old site, wychwar, did have one but he isn’t listed as a member on this new site.
    Regards
    Shaun

vhgmcbuddy

Can someone tell me what oil and quantity should go in the gearbox, also where the filler,drain and level indicators are ?
    Regards
    Shaun

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, still unable to find an instruction manual or info to refill gearbox. Can anyone help ?
    Regards
    Shaun

darmic1
    Participant

Hi Shaun
    I would also like a manual for the Minor…… Unfortunately I haven’t been able to.find one either. I used straight sae30 non EP in my gearbox, there is a filler at the top of the gearbox……. I cant remember if there is a level plug or not. But there is a drain plug/bolt on the lowest point of the gearbox.
    Darren

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.