Cub Cadet ramblings

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Cub Cadet ramblings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

I’m now on with sorting a 1960s Cub Cadet 100, I’m hoping to get some of my Cub attachments to fit it eventually. It would be good to have a go with it’s Brinly plough which I’ve never used.

Anyway, to deviate slightly, for the purposes of Cub Cadet rust removal I went to Halfords and bought some wire brushes for the electric drill, the checkout person asked me for my email address, when I asked why she said it (supposedly) was for the guarantee on the wire brushes – I declined her request as it was just to get my email, however with hindsight I should have agreed as I’d done for both wire brushes by the end of the weekend, do you think the guarantee would have replaced them?! I’ll try next time.

The Cub Cadet is proving fun, and you know when someone has already been in the gearbox and/or engine and messed about a bit. A bolt head in the gearbox has obvious chisel marks to it – note that all Cub bolts and fixings have IH stamped on them.

Cub gearboxes also have the tractor serial number stamped into them. It’s always good to find a number on any machine!

Photos attached:

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It makes you wonder why somebody thought it a good idea to undo the bolts with a chisel. I wonder what else you’re going to find, and hope it isn’t too expensive to put right!

alan
    Participant

I think the chisel-mangled bolt is quite firmly attached and nothing seems amiss so we shall leave it alone. The gearbox works perfectly so all is well.

Unfortunately Cub Cadet parts are almost impossible to source in the UK, so we have to be really careful not to damage anything as naturally everything then becomes expensive from the US.

I’ve done some more very slow research on International Harvester Cub Cadets in the UK and I know of about 12. I also have a photo of a Cub on a show stand at possibly Smithfield, I’d like to find out a bit more on how many were brought to the UK but it’s taking time.

trusty220
    Keymaster

How about putting a register together once you’ve found out? It’s surprising what turns up once people know that there’s someone else interested in collating information.

vhgmcbuddy

Re your Halfords issue .

The question is what happens to people who have no E Mail (Yes they do exist !!) Do they have no Guarantee ? No of course not If your wire brushes are faulty or it states they will last 10 years and 2 days work trashes them , you have a legitimate claim . I would return them and explain the situation but it will be up to Halfords good will to replace them .
    If you want an avalanche of unsolicited emails from who ever Halfords sell your details to please feel free to giving them your details .
    A lot of places now ask for your E mail address to send the Receipt to, Nope print me one I have proof then that I have purchased the item .

My advice is stick to the old system It works !! Each Contact detail you give is worth around £5.00 to them .

When they ask me I always ask for written proof that they will not use my E Mail address for any other business or sell it on . That seems to stop them asking

alan
    Participant

I completely agree with your comments, Martin.

Although we do have to stray onto the internet and some of the big high street retailers sometimes it’s certainly one reason to use independent retailers and knowledgeable parts suppliers where possible and local dealers too where the person behind the counter knows the customer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.