Commando Hoe

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

Recently added to my collection is a Commando Power Hoe, made by Power Hoes, Ixworth House, Ixworth, London, SW3. It is powered by a JAP2A engine with engine number 2A W 12499 45, the W dates it to 1950. The only information I have is that which is Brian Bell’s book 70 Years of Garden Machinery; any additional information would be most welcome.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

There is a picture of one on page 35 of Mechanical Aids to Gardening by J G Wallace. It also features in the Appendix, which gives an ex-works price of £75!!

charlie
    Keymaster

busman, thanks for the extra information, that is one book I dont have (yet).

vhgmcbuddy

Until you have managed to track down a copy of the book, attached are a couple of scans. The original picture in the book is very small, so the scan isn’t the clearest.

Sean

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Sean, many thanks for copying the photo etc. The machine in the photo is the same as mine except for slightly different wheels.

charlie
    Keymaster

After giving carb and magneto a good clean and replacing perished HT lead the engine now runs. New throttle cable made. Now to checkout gearbox and how clutches are supposed to work. Clutch to disengage hoe drive does not seem to work.

charlie
    Keymaster

A search of British newspaper archive revealed an article dated December 1949 that shows the Commando Hoe exhibited at Smithfield Show. Associated photo shows a machine the same as mine.

charlie
    Keymaster

An online search of MERL archive has revealed they have a leaflet for the Commando Hoe, something to look at and copy next time I visit.

charlie
    Keymaster

Gearbox was tight, so I stripped it down and found one bearing was tight from lack of use, now all turns nice and easily. Below are a couple of photos of final drive to wheels and associated clutch, looks to be some good solid engineering.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Everything is back together, time for a test run/hoe.

trusty220
    Keymaster

It looks like a very expensive way to rake the allotment- I can see why it didn’t catch on! Well done to Charlie for saving it. These must be so rare these days, it has been difficult even finding a photograph of one.

will-haggle
    Participant

Ixworth House, Ixworth, London, SW3. was also the address for Tarpen throughout the’50’s.

charlie
    Keymaster

That is an interesting fact, I wonder what the connection was, or it could simply be the registered address.

charlie
    Keymaster

Whilst at MERL yesterday I copied the sales leaflet they have for the Commando Hoe. The one on leaflet is slightly different to the example I have. Leaflet is dated 1949 so the machine I have may be a later version.

Attachments:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.