Coleby Colours

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    andyfrost
    Participant

Do any of you learned chaps know the correct colour scheme for a Coleby cultivator. The few that I have seen have all had different colours.
    It’s the model with the JAP 4/3 fourstroke engine.

Thanks Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Andy,not sure like yourself but there would not be anything other than the basic colours in those days. no doubt you have looked in the places which are not visible to sunlight

andyfrost
    Participant

John , not picking it up until tomorrow. The ones I have seen have been all Yellow , a mixture of various greens and red , one was a blue engine , no paint at all on the (alloy) gearbox and with green handles with red wheels………. hence I’m a tad confused. Knowing me it may never get painted , and put straight to use.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

well maybe some one will know but failing that whats your colour of preference ? Ferrari red ?
    Daytona yellow ?

vhgmcbuddy

I have one that appears to be red and yellow in colour and I believe that was the colour scheme used predominantly. I can see if I can find out if other colours were used. Hope that helps.

jtg1
    Participant

just found some pictresd of mine. appears a pale ble for engine may have beemn used

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Thanks for sharing those pics John , yours is different to mine. On your casting it states “Junior” , mine just “Coleby cultivators” , my wheels are also different along with the axle.

Andy.

jtg1
    Participant

they all seem to be different, almost as if each one was built individually! mine has a very wide axle, which is a real nuisance in the shed as it takes up too much space

vhgmcbuddy

Although I am unsure of when manufacture started. I am almost sure that all of the original Colebys post 1940’s were red and yellow in colour. Those manufactured previously may have been blue. Those after were probably painted different colours by their owners.

jtg1
    Participant

have just aquired a 1955 model which is yellow with red wheels.

andyfrost
    Participant

Was that the one on the auction site? , that one had a conventional GP plough…only one I’ve seen , mine along with two others that I’ve seen have a quite weird digger type plough.

Andy.

jtg1
    Participant

thats the one. starts first pull, and runs well. will be intersting to see how it ploughs

andyfrost
    Participant

Jon , they plough surprisingly well , I did all my winter ploughing with mine , BEAUTIFULLY balanced , and they grip really well.
    I would assume your latest one must be one of the last made , I saw it had the CJ type magneto , and the later type choke arrangement.

Andy.

jtg1
    Participant

i think you are right. engine dates to 1955. they seem to have dissapeared by 1957.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.