changing wheels..best way to lift machine

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines changing wheels..best way to lift machine

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I wondered how other members prop up their machines to change a wheel or to put on a road band on cleated wheels, I am thinking of the Anzani Iron Horse or Trusty, smaller machines like the Howard Gem or Mayfield are no problem to prop up, but at my age, I am having difficulty wrestling with the heavier types of machine. Plonker

charlie
    Keymaster

Have you tried using a trolley jack or bottle jack, these would be my first choice.

wristpin
    Participant

Have you tried using a trolley jack or bottle jack, these would be my first choice.

As above but once lifted settle on an axle stand or stable wooden blocks – just in case.

vhgmcbuddy

I have a Farm Jack in the land Rover, but I think I will get a Bottle jack, I am not happy with this getting old business, although I still have the body of a Greek God, I am losing my strength(compared with fifty years ago) I may end up collecting hand held sprayers! They will be the only things I will be able to pick up.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Even the smallest horticultural machines have heavy parts which become harder for the mature person to lift safely. I anticipated that this may become a problem with my Ransomes collection and invested in a lifting pallet truck, various very cheap hoists from Lidl an engine crane and various other helpful devices which would enable me to continue with my hobby into old age. The only problem i NOW HAVE IS THAT i HAVE FORGOTTEN WHERE i PUT THEM !

vhgmcbuddy

I was stronger fifty years as well Plonker. Last week I picked up the strimmer to get it starter for the coming season, I’m sure it’s put on wight over winter. I got a Rand Rover bottle jack at a sale, few years ago. Most useful, It’s only 5. 1/2 inches high when closed and with the aid of a screw up part it extends to just over a foot. been used for anything it will go under from a W H to a Same Minitaurus 60 my latest project. I don’t rely on the bottle jack only, always use axle stands were theirs a chance of getting trapped. That’s one thing with getting older we should get wiser. I was told by a mate the jack is Land Rover. The jack is a Coram 3.5 ton. Owen.

vhgmcbuddy

Isn’t getting older grand. I used to do trials and challenge events with my Land Rovers. Chucking wheels about in the middle of nowhere was no problem. Now I carry an ex-military short spade in my Disco. Just the job to slide under a wheel and lever it into place.
    Just a point to bear in mind if using a Hi Lift/Farm jack. They can easily slip and can give you a nasty bang. Never leave anything just supported with one.
    I’m not surprised you can’t find things, Jonathan. You’ve to many garages and storage places.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.