can anyone identify this?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines can anyone identify this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello everyone
    I’ve just bought this tractor today and would love any information that anyone may be able to give
    It has a jlo dl660 two stroke diesel engine and it is four wheel drive via some kind of hydraulic arrangement. But that is where my knowledge of the machine ends
    Any help greatly appreciated

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Very interesting, almost certainly from somewhere in Europe the bonnet lines look familiar but I can’t think what.

vhgmcbuddy

looks like a porshe to me

vhgmcbuddy

Here are a few more pics to try and help with identification

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Has a very interesting starter motor
    As seen in the pics its got a rachet to wind up a big spring, then its fired off to turn the engine, we have now had the engine running and managed to get it driving, it had previously been sat in A barn since 1986

vhgmcbuddy

As Nigel says it looks like a Porches to me…..same bonnet, and they did a series of small single cyclones engined tractors, which I think were two-stoke air cooled, and had some odd starting procedure…..but they looked more like a skinny traditional tractor, big back wheels, small front, so I bet this is a 4wd Version.

vhgmcbuddy

Had a bit of a look on www and can not find anything like your tractor. No 2 stroke petrol engines, only two stroke diesel Porsche tractors, and none 4WD….you may have something special there, can’t find anything like it….if indeed it is a Porsche…..see these below…

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Yes I had a quick search myself and found refernece to nothing like it and have been searching for pictures of anything similar and have drawn a blank

vhgmcbuddy

I asked some friends in France those “who know a lot” and no more idea.
    One told me that the hood looks like an Anzani one, but……

charlie
    Keymaster

Another possibility is a very well modified machine using the engine and bonnet from a production machine with the rest home made.

vhgmcbuddy

It doesn’t really look home made to me, and looks as though it was rather expensive when new, those wheel motors can’t have been cheap.
    The chap I bought it from was clearing an elderly neighbours place which is where its from, and the elderly gentleman said it came from the Coventry climax factory when it closed in 1986 and has been in his barn ever since, maybe someone knows someone who worked at coventry climax who may remember this machine and maybe shed some lift on its identity?

vhgmcbuddy

Nice tractor, a bit of a long shot but would it be worth trying to find out if anyone has the JLO engine records.

wristpin
    Participant

Have I missed something but where does JLO come in to it?

vhgmcbuddy

It has a JLO engine

vhgmcbuddy

This same machine appeared at the Stanfield Plough Day 2019, this morning. The present owner had brought it on a trailer in the hope that those attending would be able to help with identification.
    The current owner gave the same basic history with the machine having been acquired from Coventry Climax just prior to them closing down. The purchased stored it in a shed, which in turn collapsed, entombing the machine. The machine was then sold on and then changed hands once more to the current owner.
    The engine is a 2 stroke engine, very similar to the SACHS unit; powers an hydraulic pump, which in turn feeds oil under pressure to all wheels. The owner stated that it can be adjusted to be either 2 OR 4 wheel drive.
    The construction is clearly not held together with chewing gum, and is sturdy to say the least. Other than the manufacturer’s name plate on the engine there are no other identification marks. The seat is very similar to the Massey Ferguson style, with provision for a padded back rest secured by two welded studs.
    If the provenance is to be believed then it would not be unreasonable to use the description of a factory mule from an R & D Unit.
    A very interesting vehicle even as it currently stands.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.