big knife

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

A man gave me this large knife a while back, I and thought it interesting to share with you men. Not sure that its any kind of gardening or horti tool, but I suppose it could have been used there. On the blade it has made in Sheffield England stamped and the holder has US BOYT 42. Most likely its a Military item, but since it appears to have come from England, I thought i’d let you men take a look.

Attachments:
    joegrgraham
    Participant

I stand to be corrected, but I think the wording on the sheath says US GOVT (a G not a B). United States Government 1942. All military stuff is date stamped.
    So you have a second world war machete, most likely issued to US troops for use in jungle theatres.
    The reason for the made in England, at that time, Sheffield was still a world leader in the manufacture of knife blades.
    Hope that helps.
    Joe.

vhgmcbuddy

well I suppose it could be a bad ink job, i’ll try to repost the picture that didn’t come though the first time. always great to get items for free. Not that its valuable, and this one is in not so good a shape on the canvass, but something to put up, just so I can say I has one.

vhgmcbuddy

ok one more try, as the site been working fine up until this picture. I must not be resizing it properly.

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

If it’s not too rusty, does it by any chance have Crocodile Brand and an image of a Crocodile stamped into it? They were a well known Sheffield maker of Machetes (or Pangas depending where you are) and supplied the armed forces and foreign governments. I while back I bought a box of 50 (don’t ask!) all still in their original wrapping and the box stencilled with government contract numbers etc.

vhgmcbuddy

You are correct about the name BOYT, they were a supplier of U.S. army leather work in WW2 in the days before we became the only country in the world to ban target shooting with Hanguns, I had a .45 Colt automatic pistol in a leather holster marked BOYT, I have seen this name on other American military goods over the years.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.