Belle mixer 1960's

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Belle mixer 1960's

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I don’t know if this is any interest to anyone, but I’ve just picked up my next project. It’s a very early example of a Belle mixer. I’ve never seen another survivor. I’ve also managed to acquire an original brochure for it.

Attachments:
    dorigny
    Participant

Brilliant, will you be collecting one of each showing all of the modifications done to the mixer design over the years.? 🙂 There’s been several….and wonder how many Belle mixers have sold altogether.??

In my first employment, early 1980s, the Marina pick up and trailer used to go over to the works and fetch a load of the mixers which we would line up on the front yard, fuel up and test run ready for their purchasers that Mike the salesman had lined up in his book.

Clive.

charlie
    Keymaster

I still have my fathers old Belle mixer, it must 35-40 years old now.

vhgmcbuddy

I doubt I’ll be collecting each one. There’s an awful lot of changes.
    My father used to be a dealer in the early days for belle. He used to have a standing order for a Lorry load every few weeks. At one time he found it the most cost effective to hire new ones out for about 6 weeks, then sell them as almost new at cost price, whilst making his profit on the hire charges.
    I believe this one dates from the end of the 1960’s with a slightly later engine fitted.

dorigny
    Participant

Yes, the engine looks more recent, reminiscent of those I recall on the early 1980s models, with remains of the turquoise plastic starter pulley guard.

Clive.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes the engine is dated April 1978, so still 39 years old. Ive dug a late 1960’s briggs out of my shed, so will be using most of that for the rebuild.

vhgmcbuddy

Managed to make a bit of progress with this project. The engine is sorted and the drum is almost straight. Just got the tedious job of removing all the old concrete.

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

Just got the tedious job of removing all the old concrete.

Can you not use the “brick acid” from the builders’ merchant – or is that a no,no?

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve tried brick acid in the past but it doesn’t seem to work very well. I’ve heard it suggested by some that it may be down to the lime in the concrete neutralising the acid?
    I’ve got a video of cleaning out the inside using metal and bricks. The engine is hunting a bit so I was thinking about ordering up a new needle and seat plus a governor Spring as I can’t quite get it to smooth out, unless anyone has any other ideas?

wristpin
    Participant

Most (but not all) Briggs hunting issues are to fuel starvation resulting from gumming in the carburettor and / or weak fuel delivery due to a hardened pump diaphragm. Things to look at are partial blockage of the filter screen on the bottom of the long pick-up pipe, ditto the short pipe, hardened diaphragm and general varnish / gum in any accessible carb passages.
    Use the BS Model, Type and Code numbers to get the correct diaphragm – guessing 270026. Unlikely to be the gov spring unless it shows signs of having been mauled about!

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for that. It’s had a new diaphragm, the pickups are spotless and the carb has been ultra sound cleaned. The valves were also reground, decoked, new plug,electronic ignition coil plus new rubbers on the carb pulse pipe fitted.
    Was only considering a governor after the difference it can make to Hondas, but I’ll listen to your advise, perhaps just try a needle and seat first.

wristpin
    Participant

Does seem that you’ve dealt with most of the likely candidates! One test is to hold the carburettor throttle spindle steady of even screw the idle stop screw fully in to stop the spindle moving. If the hunting persists it is a fuelling issue. If not, maybe try a new spring.
    Have you tried fully loading the drum to make the engine “work”? The reason for asking this is that way back when the 5HP version of your engine with a similar tank, throttle and governor set-up was fitted to the Atco 24 lawnmower some machines had a”hunt at idle” problem but the machine was fine when under load. The cure then was to fit an additional very light governor spring to steady the carb spindle. Fairly sure that I still have the Briggs Service Bulletin somewhere if needed!

andyfrost
    Participant

Also , thoroughly check your inlet manifold gasket.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

Also , thoroughly check your inlet manifold gasket.

Good point.but don’t stop with the gasket, put a straight edge across the flange – they are quite prone to bowing from over tightening.

ted20
    Participant

I have recently purchased an early Belle mixer same as your picture complete with original stand but my handle is lower down and also it is fitted with an electric motor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.