Barford leaking oil seals

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Barford leaking oil seals

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

Note: since the web server has just changed over, a few bits have gone wayward, I notice this post isn’t displaying but here’s the short transcript.

Original question: After some basic restoration I’m starting to do the tricky stuff now, well tricky for me. Wonder if anyone can help with tips on how to change the axle oil seals on my Barford Atom?

Charlie replies: Barford Atom mechanical gardener is the smaller machine, Atom 15 and 30 are the same apart from the engine, the 30 has a Villiers MK15. The parts list shows the seal as a pioneer type oil seal 13P/SR. The axle shafts slide out after removing wheels and hubs, not something I have done myself yet.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

A bit more from that thread:

> Aha, thanks, that’s useful to know about the model. Yes I’ve managed to remove the wheel hubs and axle. After that there doesn’t seem to be an obvious way to get at the oil seals – except taking the gear box apart! I guess that’ll be the next challenge

> You should be able to prise the seal out from the outside, this will damage the seal however, so make sure you can get a new one first.
    Here is the diagram from parts list showing gearbox.

Attachments:
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.