Barford Atom history

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Barford Atom history

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    johne
    Participant

I read with a warm heart on a cold day the articles on the origins of the Barford Atom both in the club magazine & web site. For my sins I may be able to add to the knowledge base from another point of view. However I think that may well commit me to write a future magazine article.
    As the proud owner of a Mechanical Hoe, albeit clutchless (please read that word carefully!), it is interesting to note that Mechanised Horticultural Implements of Kent was very much of “blacksmith production” origins where as Barfords Invicta site in Grantham, by 1945, was of an engineering base and use to batch production methods suitable for the horticultural markets of the day. For instance, there are very noticeable differences between the Mechanised Hoe design of MHI origins and the next Atom model design to come into production in 1947/8, the Mechanical Gardener.

charlie
    Keymaster

I also have a Barford Motor minus clutch, was this a weakness in the design? Copy of patents for clutch etc attached.

charlie
    Keymaster

Photos of my Motor Hoe.

Attachments:
    alan
    Participant

John

Thank you for your reply regarding the Barford article.

Your reply about Horticultural Implements of Kent fills in a blank in the little bit of research I was able to do. Any information from anyone is always welcome as I’m much aware that sometimes there are history gaps in the articles which cannot be filled with easily sourced information – and input from VHGMC members is much appreciated!

The Switzerland article mentioned in the website article about Barford is attached below for future reference.

For anyone who missed it the Barford article is: https://vhgmc.co.uk/2016/12/atom-tractor-switzerland/

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

The following photo shows an early Barford Atom with rotavator, this is the only reference I have found regarding a rotavator for this model.

Attachments:
    mickattwo
    Participant

I have a parts list ( No1532) 2/6d with no dates at all but it is for the barford “Atom” tractor and implements.
    All the implements implied to and the tractor is for the single wheel machine with land wheel and grass drum
    The last page shows how to convert to two wheels
    I have some of the implements described

charlie
    Keymaster

michattwo I have 2 copies of the parts list 1532, only one has the extra pages with the two wheel conversion (leaflet 1570).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.