Auto Culto Model L

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi All,
    Finally became a paid up member, I thought you might all like to see my latest toy, An all original Auto Culto Model L complete with Albion grass cutter and a heap of toolbars ect.
    Dry stored, un-touched for the last 20 years after the last owner purchased it from Carrington steam rally auction.
    Its now in the shed so shouldn’t be too long before the Villiers is making noises.

EDIT. Pictures are too large to upload, Hopefully a link to my own website is ok with admin?

https://www.rustyrelicsonline.co.uk/allen–simmonds-auto-culto-model-l

andyfrost
    Participant

The model L brings back fond memories for me , my father purchased one new in 1945 , and I was still using it until the 1970s , the twinport 25A makes a beautiful noise when under a good load.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Andy,
    Hopefully ill be able to find out what it sounds like, Its in cracking original condition, hopefully its the same on the inside. I shall find out soon enough.

cheers,
    Liam

charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome to the club, the attached document describes how to reduce photo file size.
    Club member Jim Beacon is the Auto-Culto expert and I am sure he will be able to offer help, advice and information.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Charlie,
    Well today’s events have found that is actually a gx and not an L, Jim has kindly managed to date it to roughly somewhere between August-september 1946.
    Iv had a spark and a pop this afternoon but now the spark has vanished so it’s off with the flywheel for a mag rebuild.
    After years of exhibiting stationary engines the plan is to have this ready for the eastern counties show at Norwich showground in march, fingers crossed.

Cheers,
    Liam

andyfrost
    Participant

Have you still got the ID plate , it should be on the inside channel of the handlebars giving model and serial number.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Andy,
    No Id plate, just stamped into the top of the handlebar no.8316GX

Cheers,
    Liam

vhgmcbuddy

Well that’s the missing flywheel fins found, must of broken off in use and then blown round the cowling. Ending up in the cylinder/head joint 🙄

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Strip down coming along nicely, so much original paint underneath, it would be a crying shame to paint it.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

True what you say about the paintwork. I remember something I once heard said, ‘it is only original once’.

jim-beacon
    Participant

Liam, Nice to see it coming along!
    The early metal handlebar machines have the serial number stamped into the bar, the ID plate is a later thing (though wooden handlebar machines always had a plate).
    Jim.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks guys,
    For those that are following, Its going back together nicely now, no real nasties found so with a new condenser for a nice hot spark it seemed rude not to give it a fire up on the bench,

vhgmcbuddy

Well that’s been quite a quick rebuild for me, normally they lay in pieces for months on end, this one’s only taken 3 1/2 months haha.

https://www.rustyrelicsonline.co.uk/allen–simmonds-auto-culto-model-gx

Just the implements to clean up now which shouldn’t take long and then she’ll be ready for her first outing.

cheers,
    Liam

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.