ATCOSCYTHE – Villiers engine – no spark.

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines ATCOSCYTHE – Villiers engine – no spark.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello All,

In a state of mild excitement I purchased 2 ATCOSCYTHE’s, both look to be in very good condition – I assume they might have been restored at some point – both have not been used for a good length of time and have no sppark. Does anyone have any information to help me get a spark out of them? Are there any manuals that would be of help to me? I assume that they use the same engine as the lawn mowers of that time. Also, can I get them dated? They both have the serial numbers on them?

Help would be most welcomed and appreciated!!!!

Laine

stuart
    Participant

Clean the points (contact breakers) and fit a new condenser while you are there.If still no spark a new HT coil is needed.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi,

How do I remove the flywheel to get to the points? I have removed all the tinwork etc, and have taken the cover off the points ( in a circular thing ) How do I remove the flywheel? I have taken out the bolt that held the pull cord assy on, but the flywheel doesn’t come off – I read that you have to tighten the bolt and it pulls the flywheel off the flange – is that correct? How do I ensure the timing isn’t altered? It’s not a Standard Fordson, that’s for sure!!

Laine

andyfrost
    Participant

Initially I would just clean the points without removing the flywheel , make sure the surfaces are thoroughly clean , and check for a spark.
    Let us know the result.

Andy.

stuart
    Participant

Yes keep turning the flywheel nut.You will notice it becomes loose at first but keep on turning it and it will draw the flywheel of the taper.
    Timing…..I set the points gap first.Then position the piston at TDC (there should be a scribed line or mark on the end of the crankshaft so that when its at 12 o clock the piston is at TDC).The alloy armature plate should have a timing mark on it and so should the face of the flywheel.Put the flywheel on the crank to align these marks then carefully tighten up the nut making sure the flywheel does not move !.Let us know how you get on.

vhgmcbuddy

Atconut, did you receive any leads on your request for a manual? I have just acquired two atcoscythes, and hope to produce one good one. Mine have one rubber tyre, the fuel tank is at right angle to the muffler, the muffler being parallel to the direction of travel. I understand there were several models, how can I identify my model, please? I will be looking for a swath board, or a pattern.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you to Stuart and Andy for your advice above. I am about to start on my rennovation, just as soon as I complete the 723 projects in train!!!

vhgmcbuddy

Can anyone suggest where I can obtain parts for my Atcoscythe, please? Currently I’m looking for the two clutch cables. My model has a single wheel, and bothe ground drive and the scyth blade are chain driven. I suspect it is a later model? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, especially a copy of the Instruction/Parts Manual.

charlie
    Keymaster

Clutch and throttle cables can be made up. I have made several in the past, cable inner and outer along with suitable nipples can be bought from motorcycle parts suppliers eg trialsbits If you know the dimensions John Cruse at the Mower Centre will probably be able to make them for you.

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you, Charlie. I will follow up those leads.

vhgmcbuddy

Here are photos of one of my two, both identical. Are probably a later model as both the cutter bar and wheel are chain driven.

Attachments:
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.